Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AiredaleKate
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-08-2008, 10:32 AM

Conditioning show dogs

Hi,

Our puppy is now 11 months old and has been doing reasonably well in the show ring to date. We are noticing however that compared to the other Airedales, including puppies, she seems to look immature and lack muscle tone, and people have commented that when she is beaten, it is usually because of this as her conformation and movement are good.

We have been cautious about too much exercise after hearing lots about potential joint problems in larger breeds, but she now gets some on road lead walking (30 mins) and off lead running around (30 mins) every day as well as as much time as she wants out in the garden.

Her breeders say that slower to mature pups can often last longer in the ring as they don't become "overdone" too quickly, but I think even if that is the case, she needs to be firmer and more toned in body, especially now that she is nearly 1 and will be moving into Junior.

Do people generally do any particular types of exercise with their show dogs? Her breeders have acres of fenced land, and several dogs, so they spend a lot of time romping around together which I suppose helps, whereas ours has only an 11 year old dog for company, so they both spend a lot of time snoozing.

I don't want to go overboard on the exercise, as she is still young and has some growing to do, but just wondered if there was any tips for getting her in better condition.

Thanks!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-08-2008, 10:38 AM
A good way to tone her up is get her swimming.. this will give the desired affect, without putting strain on her joints.
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-08-2008, 11:07 AM
Agree with Jackbox, but I wouldn't worry too much....
Lots of exhibitors favour a more hefty look, but slow growth is good for a young dog, and lean is better than fat....not just for joints but for total health for all the dog's life.

Once she is around a yar you can step up the exercise a bit.

Mary
Rio
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-08-2008, 11:57 AM
I agree swimming is the best form of exercise for puppies/young dogs as it puts less strain on growing joints and at the same time tones up the muscle, a little bit of road work is good too.
With my breed (akita) i do little road work and swim x2 a week and at 1yr old increase the road work. I would rather have a slow maturing dog than one that has matured to quickly as it can in my experience have problems with joints later on in life, I also give mine primrose oil/ cod liver oil once a day.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2008, 12:15 PM
You are doing right - your dog is a pup and a big dog
it takes (and it should take) time to build up and fill out

Dont rush your baby into work, let it enjoy being a pup, build it up slowley, do the shows if you want for experience and fun and let your dog build up at a rate that wont hurt its joints
Listen to the other people showing, and smile and walk away knowing you are doing the best for your dogs joints and it will be healthy and happy a long time after these quick grown pups start having joint problems and can no longer show
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2008, 01:20 PM
Swimming is great, always swim puppies as it gives them muscle tone without the jaring & they learn to swim when they are young & fit so if they ever have a problem, they know all about swimming. Personally I think you are wise to not do too much road work till she has had her hips & elbows scored & you know she is fit & able to take the excersise.
I've had bitches who have not fully matured up till they are nearly two, think its in their lines.
AiredaleKate
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-08-2008, 01:52 PM
Thanks all for your input. I have had a look and there's a hydrotherapy pool very nearby which you can also use for general swimming so will get the vet to OK it (one of the requirements of the pool) then give them a call to arrange a session to see how she takes to it. She has never swum, but loves splashing aruond in the local rivers (mostly with the aim of getting as muddy as possible though )

Only issue may be the chemicals in the pool and what effect they have on her coat.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2008, 05:22 PM
Is she from slow maturing lines? Fast maturing puppies are often 'overdone' as adults so enjoy her puppyhood and be patient.IMO the exercise ou are giving is fine....she just needs time.
My oldest elk was always last or thrown out until he reached 2 yrs old...he then went on to be consistently placed and even managed 2 RCCs.He still holds his own in the veteran classes nowadays and the only reason he is in semi-retirement is due to cost
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 01:14 AM
I would agree with everyone else. Try a bit of swimming (and if needs be a hydrotherapy pool) and a lot of patience. Your pup will come into it's own eventually and far better later than sooner imo.
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 07:45 AM
Have to agree with everyone else on this.Swimming is great exercise,brilliant for building up muscle tone but I'd take it easy and be careful you don't over do things as she's still young and developing.

I've seen loads of pups in the ring who don't do well but get better and better with maturity,give her time and be patient as she'll mature in her own good time.Wish you all the best with her.

I tend to do loads of road walking with mines too and not just on the flat surfaces,walking up and down hill is very good.xxxxxxxxx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >