Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AiredaleKate
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-07-2008, 01:24 PM

Rules/good manners when showing

Hi,

There's breed club show for my breed in September. I was looking forward to going, but having received the schedule, I see that the breeder of my puppy's dam is the judge. The dam was sold as a puppy to my puppy's breeder, and they have subsequently added their affix and my puppy was from her first litter.

Now I know you can't show under a judge who bred your dog, but what are the rules in this case? I imagine it wouldn't be good form, am I correct?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2008, 01:53 PM
will be intreasting to see what others say, I would say a defo no no to going under your puppys breeder, will watch this thread, I have to say I have never been in the situation as yet so not sure what I would do!
AiredaleKate
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-07-2008, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
will be intreasting to see what others say, I would say a defo no no to going under your puppys breeder, will watch this thread, I have to say I have never been in the situation as yet so not sure what I would do!
Thanks Shona, but as I was trying (not very concisely!) to explain is that my pup's mum was bred by the judge and sold on, not my puppy.

My pup's breeder is judging at another breed club show later in the year, which I won't be entering!

My breed is fairly small numerically and many of the breeders also judge, and many of the dogs have sire/dam owned by another breeder/judge!

X
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2008, 01:59 PM
I think you can enter under this judge - to clarify : Your pups breeder IS NOT the judge?

I have entered under breeder of my boys sire but as my breeder bred there dam not had that crop up!

ETA: if no rules which don't think there are go for it!
AiredaleKate
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-07-2008, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
I think you can enter under this judge - to clarify : Your pups breeder IS NOT the judge?

I have entered under breeder of my boys sire but as my breeder bred there dam not had that crop up!

ETA: if no rules which don't think there are go for it!
That's right. Dam is Magwyr XXXXXX over Sherifs. Judge is Magwyr. My puppy is Sherifs XXXXX.

I was looking forward to the show, and it's very local, but it's not the be all and end all, and if it will lead to bad feeling/people thinking it's bad form I'd much rather give it a miss as I'm new to showing and don't want to get off on the wrong foot!

I'll have a word my pup's breeders and see what they say.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2008, 02:07 PM
There is no rule and no problem going under this judge. You'd be silly not to as she's going to probably like your type as she bred the dam to your pup. At the end of the day you don't know the judge, she won't know you, so go for it. The whole point is we put our dogs under someone we think will like them.
AiredaleKate
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-07-2008, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by megan57collies View Post
There is no rule and no problem going under this judge. You'd be silly not to as she's going to probably like your type as she bred the dam to your pup. At the end of the day you don't know the judge, she won't know you, so go for it. The whole point is we put our dogs under someone we think will like them.
Well I do "know" the judge, in as much as, like I said, it's numerically small breed as far as numbers being shown and everyone knows everyone else, but I have never actually chatted to her etc.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2008, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by AiredaleKate View Post
Well I do "know" the judge, in as much as, like I said, it's numerically small breed as far as numbers being shown and everyone knows everyone else, but I have never actually chatted to her etc.
That's always going to happen when you go under judges that are in your breed. Most of the judges I've been under this year at champ shows are in the breed and I know 90% of them. That's just the way it is. I've had it the other way where as I've had very good friends who have entered under me. I've still not done them any favours. I've judged the dogs and that's it. All you can do is show by the rules and in this case there isn't one stopping you from showing and to be honest in this case no it's not unethical either.
Archiebongo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-07-2008, 02:20 PM
Go for it. Nothing to say you can't.

I've also entered under the breeder of my boys sires. In a numerically small breed, its going to happen.

Jill
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2008, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by AiredaleKate View Post
That's right. Dam is Magwyr XXXXXX over Sherifs. Judge is Magwyr. My puppy is Sherifs XXXXX.

I was looking forward to the show, and it's very local, but it's not the be all and end all, and if it will lead to bad feeling/people thinking it's bad form I'd much rather give it a miss as I'm new to showing and don't want to get off on the wrong foot!

I'll have a word my pup's breeders and see what they say.
If there isn't a rule (which I don't think there is) - its quite common to come across judges which are linked someway to the dog - at a recent show someone entered under someone who had bought a pup from them - some may have said no surprises that she was awarded the CC and BOB (tic) but you could argue that if she has bought pup from her they of course like her type !

Trying to think if seen it the other way round re: breeder of dam! Am 99% sure its ok though!

Showing is very incestuous!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >