04-03-2008, 01:12 PM
Rotties - CHECK
Comfy Shoes - CHECK
Credit Card at home - CHECK
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2008, 01:49 PM
I find it helpful to plan my shopping (which hall the stall is in, what it is I want to buy etc) then I get the shopping out of the way as early as poss - pref when they open up
I then dont move form the Hall I am in with my dog/s, because I just know I would never find my way back Awful though it sounds, its for the same I dont go looking for people, I let them find me, thankfully my friends realise just how navigationally challenged I am!!

comfy shoes a must, and I always have a spare spare of shoes in the car to change into for th drive home - it can really ease sore feet.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2008, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
This is a post where we can post our tips to surviving Crufts!

Travel

we leave as early as possible!!! around Shirley always backs up at around 8am. we will be getting there at 7am this year!!!

Parking

have a good look at the carparks before you go & decide which is the best for you! we like the south best, bit of a walk to the halls,but easy to get out, im not keen on the carparks (east???) up bu the airport for getting home, if you havent been before & havent got a ticket,ALWAYS get one on the way in,can be queues if you wait till home time. You can take a bus to the halls, but if you do walk there are toilets on some routes (handy!)

the halls

if you arent showing get a map!!!!! you should be able to cut across the middle bit if you havent a dog & get your hand stamped!

The breed

the breed rings can be crowded so get there early if you want to watch the showing of a partcalur breed

the activites

Its free to get into the main ring -apart from sunday /BIS night to watch agility etc, the obedience is in the "forum" between hall 1 & the main ring, its free to watch to, YKC is in Hall 3 & DDogs

the food & drinkEXPENSIVE take your own

the crowdsMadness, be preparred!!!!

the standsSo much shopping so little time!!!! i like to do my shopping Early or late in the bay & just watch stuff in the busy part of the day

leaving
Theres a MASS exodus at 4pm, if you can get away just before, or around 6pm its better

Checklist

Comfy Shoes,
Clothes in layers/strip off/add on
Shopping great...how are you going to get it back to the car?
Toilets, mightmare, drink very very little
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-03-2008, 02:28 PM
Stealing Michelle's list....

Travel – Check the travel report for roadworks etc. Thursday and Friday the traffic will be horrible with the usual commuter traffic going through Birmingham and allow at least an extra hour over and above the time suggested by whatever method you use to work this out. Also allow time to queue to get into car parks and to unpack the car and to walk/bus into the place. Make sure you’ve got refreshments for yourself and water for the dogs (if your taking them obviously) there was a year where people got stuck in the car park trying to get out for about 4 hours!

Parking – write down which car park your in – trust me this saves time and embarrassment when trying to get back to the car.

the halls - If your just visiting then work out what you want to see and get times off the time table. From experience discover dogs gets very busy between 11 am and 2 pm – to the point of not being able to move on the Saturday and Sunday. As much as moving about is difficult make sure your not standing on any small dogs – they do actually have a right to be there (yep, cos one year we overheard the person in front of us declaiming that crufts would just be so much better without all these dogs about)

The breed – In my case German Spitz on Thursday possibly back on Saturday for watching vallhunds. However, what ever breed you admire I hope you get to enjoy watching some judging, wondering around the benches and talking to the exhibitors.

the activites – again, plan what you want to watch and go enjoy!

the food & drink – is stupidly expensive – take your own. Whilst the queues for the loo might be long make sure you drink enough – it’s extremely hot in the NEC and you will dehydrate faster than you realize – there is nothing worse that being tired and extremely dehydrated – possibly with the associated headache – trying to drive home.

the crowds – go with the flow of traffic! comfy shoes are a must

the stands – lots of cheap offers, talk to stall holders – there maybe freebies if you smile nicely

leaving – dogs are allowed out at 4 pm – from experience there is little point trying to leave at that point. Pack enough food for tea, sit and watch the groups on the big screen then try to get out. The queue for the bus isn’t worth the wait – the walk in the fresh air is very good to wake you up before driving. There are toilets in some of the car parks if you forget to go when you leave the halls!

Drive safely everyone and have a fun day!
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2008, 05:34 PM
Parking :
Park as far from the `main hub` as you can and take the show`s handy bus from there - leaving the car park can take an hour or two otherwise, [ been there, done that ]

Food :
I have found in the past that the shortest queue`s for the snack type stalls are usually in the benching area`s

If finding a stall selling something you are interested in but want to go back for, [ especially large items ], keep a written note of exactly where the stand is or you may never find it again

If keeping in touch with people via mobiles, there are some really bad reception area`s there for some networks so be aware of that if you are trying to meet up with anyone.

Drink :
Better to take a flask or a bottle of juice / pop in a small back-pack

Smokers :
As a smoker myself, I try to be considerate and the venue inside is no smoking of course. There are usually designated doors through which to go outside for a puff - please be considerate, stand well away from those open doors or the smoke will just go into the building, and please make sure you put cigs out properly, last time I went I ended up stamping on goodness knows how many other peoples lit cigs which they just dropped on the ground without a thought for the feet of the dogs being walked in and out
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2008, 05:39 PM
Take lots of money

Large handbag needed

Plenty of carrier bags

Take time out to have a drink at the bar

Say hello to friends

Come home, shower and put feet up
mcgregorkh
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-03-2008, 07:48 PM
If showing, get there as early as possible, the walk along the river is great for your dog to stretch it's legs and hopefully have a poo! As someone said handy toilets for humans too!

Grab your catalogue as soon as you get in and bench your dog. Once he's settled go grab the freebies and stuff you want (written on a list beforehand, stands and hall numbers if possible) before the general public get in. Keep a close eye out for trollies too

Get changed in plenty of time cos the loos are always busy.

Have fun! Even though you have to wait till 4.00 and you've been out of the ring since 9.30!!
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2008, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
Rotties - CHECK
Comfy Shoes - CHECK
Credit Card at home - CHECK

Credit Card at home brilliant I should take your good advice before my plastic melts
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2008, 09:29 PM
if your traveling from scotland dont forget the stop at Tebay,,,always a good place to stop, let the dogs have a bit of a walk, wee n air, x
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2