Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
06dcc.brigdenh
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-06-2007, 09:02 PM

Bossy Trainer?

I went to see a dog trainer today for the first time with my rescue dog Gypsy owing to her boisterous behaviour and lack of training. The trainer was a very no- nonsense, opinionated sort of person who was very much under the impression ( I think) that she knows everything. She told me to feed my dog Burn's or James Wellbeloved and launched into a bit of a tirade about how if I couldn't afford to feed her good food I shouldn't have a dog, before even asking me what I feed her. I have up until recently fed her on Burn's or James Wellbeloved anyway! But I've now decided to feed her a homemade diet. She seemed critical of this even when I told her what I use- brown rice, meat and veg. My dog loves it, probably because it actually looks and smells like food, and I actually think she is slightly calmer since I've been feeding her it. My family have agreed with me on that, and yet the trainer's main arguement for feeding her Burn's was that it will help with her behaviour. I looked at the ingredients and found that they are exactly the same as what I feed her anyway- only homemade stuff in a more appetising, unprocessed form. Convenience is the only difference.
If you go on the Burn's website you'll find that Mr Burns, as a vet, originally recommended a homemade diet of exactly what I am feeding her, only he found many clients didn't have the time or motivation to do that so launched his own pet food. He also mentions the quanitities of each ingredient on the FAQ page and I am doing nothing wrong according to his advice. He also mentions that it is perfectly feasible to feed homemade and achieve the right quanitites of nutrients, including vitamins and minerals without adding supplements.
The trainer also mentioned I should never give my dog potato, garlic or onions. Now onions I know are bad for dogs. However I don't see how potatoes are, since even one of Burns' foods is 'Potato and Pork.' The only way they are poisonous is if you feed large quanitites of raw green potatoes or the actual plant. Garlic as well can be very healthy for dogs, used as capsules, or fresh in their food in small amounts- it would take about 50 cloves I have read to actually cause the type of aneamia that is associated with it. Richard Allport (alternative vet) recently praised it in a recent dog magazine I have read. I was so fuming inside as she was preaching to me- as I'm an intelligent person, despite being inexperienced with dogs, I read a lot, care a lot, and am training in Vet Nursing, so owing to the evidence I've mentioned above I was sure I knew more than she did, but being quite a shy person I don't really have the confidence to bite back.
She also seemed to think a Bullmastiff was a dog bred for fighting, and when it locked it's jaws doesn't let go. Slightly confused perhaps...I tried to argue but she cut me short. It's Bull Terriers isn't it?
Anyway- what do you think- who's right? Should I say anything to her next time, and continue feeding my homemade diet?
pam2
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-06-2007, 09:23 PM
I think maybe you need to find a new trainer, anyone who is so opinionated and not willing to listen to her client can't be very fair minded.
You sound as if you are trying to do the right thing, especially with the feeding so don't take her remarks to heart.
You and your dog should look forward to training, not dread it!
Good luck
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2007, 10:27 PM
I agree with Pam. Your home cooked diet sounds pretty much the same as Burns.

There are so many opinions out there it is hard to make a choice but she should at least take the time to listen to you, not lecture you. Is she good otherwise? If not, I'd find a different trainer.
AussieGeek
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-06-2007, 10:48 PM
Id find a new trainer personally. I had one that was like that and I just couldnt do it.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2007, 10:55 PM
I'd say continue with what you are doing, and find a new trainer!

p.s. no dogs can 'lock' their jaws!
p.p.s Bullmastiffs are great
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

13-06-2007, 06:19 AM
Same as everyone else find a new trainer,and nothing wrong with your dogs diet.
DanishPastry
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-06-2007, 06:45 AM
"lock jaws" is a myth!

I think I can safely say she'd get on my tits and I would not be able to do any constructive training under her, but then I am terribly fussy when it comes to people
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2007, 07:16 AM
I have to agree with everyone else, your dogs diet sound perfect, as long as it suits your dog, which it sounds like it does, as for the trainer, she obviously has a problem communicating politly with people and maybe with your breed/type of dog, IMO find another trainer, you'll get no joy from that one, either of you
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2007, 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by 06dcc.brigdenh View Post
She also seemed to think a Bullmastiff was a dog bred for fighting, and when it locked it's jaws doesn't let go. Slightly confused perhaps...I tried to argue but she cut me short. It's Bull Terriers isn't it?
Anyway- what do you think- who's right? Should I say anything to her next time, and continue feeding my homemade diet?
Ooh dear I would change your trainer, I agree with the others who have posted :smt001

Dogs can't lock jaws and yes, 'tis a myth. Some dogs can really hold on hard, and are very hard to get off their target, but that's not literally a jaw lock. If she doesn't even know this, and if she doesn't know that bullmastiffs were more bred for deterring/capturing poachers not so long ago, then she's bonkers

Wys
x
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2007, 10:38 AM
I agree with everyone else, steer clear of that "trainer"!

If she is so ill informed at this level, and not willing to listen to you as an owner on these issues.... Well, I dread to think of what might happen down the line if she is training your dog.

You are right, John Burns recommends a homecooked diet, recomendations on his website. The kibble he produces is for those of us that don't have time to prepare the food as he recommends.

Raw potatoes are poisionous, not cooked ones. Garlic and onions are poisionous, but in large quanities.

Please, do yourself and your dog a favour and find a better informed and reasonalbe dog trainer. Don't go back to this idiot!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >