Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gaspode
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-05-2007, 08:59 AM

1st place

when the only dog in the class. How do you feel about it?
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2007, 09:07 AM
You can only beat what is there on the day - the judge can, at the end of the day withhold 1st place but rarely have I ever seen that.

I take every placing as a well earned one!
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

22-05-2007, 09:24 AM
Obviously would prefer some competition, but if not as Rachel says the judge is entitled to withhold, I have seen this happen at a Champ show but never at an Open Show.

I too take every placing as a well earned one.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2007, 09:52 AM
Same as everyone else. It's not your fault that no-one else entered!
Becky
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2007, 10:22 AM
It's a mixed feeling to be honest.
You feel better coming 1st in a decent class. However I also feel (not being vain) that my boy I show at the moment is good enough standard to take a class and worthy of Best of Breed. If you stand alone then the judges feedback regards critique is difficult to value as you don't get an idea what got you placed first (hope that makes sense)
It feels better when you then go on to get a Group place because then it means more.
Mind you needing 4 points for my boys Show Certificate of Merirt I'm quite happy to be the only one standing
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2007, 01:09 PM
Must admit thats why I like the grading cards we get at a lot of GSD shows a V grading with an adult or an SG with a youngster means more to me if anything than the placing.
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-05-2007, 02:48 PM
As a judge I really dislike judging a single dog in a class. The amount of times that it has got back to me that someone's said I liked their dog as I gave it a first - it was the only one there!! LOL It's OK if it's a decent dog but writing a constructive critique on an awful dog is really hard work!

Debs
Rio
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-05-2007, 09:40 PM
I have been to numerous shows where i have stood alone and i must admit that i do feel a little disappointed that there has been no competition. But i have noticed that the entries at both Open and Champ shows have dropped for one reason or another at the end of the day people have the opportunity to enter shows.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2007, 09:46 PM
A bit dissapointing but what can you do? Same as when there is only 2 or 3. At the other end of the scale what about when there is a lot in your class?
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2007, 07:35 AM
All Irish shows are under FCI rules now, not just the Internationals, so every exhibit is graded as it is seen. Therefore, once your dog has been judged you know whether you are still in the game or not. If you are the only one in the class but don't get an "excellent" grading (or "very promising" for a puppy) your competition is over as only top graded dogs can go in for the ticket.
There are likely to be more single entries as well now as classes are split dogs and bitches, before the lower classes were nearly always dog or bitch only Open was split.
Not as easy as some people think!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >