View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
-emma-
New Member!
Female 

21-04-2006, 12:28 PM

show stand --- how do i make it better (_pic_)

heres my show stand
how can i make it better
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2006, 12:54 PM
Ok, front legs should be straight, so the length of the leg is straight, so move her front legs back a little. Back legs, try moving back a little, so the straight part of her foot is parrallel.

How she is stood in the first pic is better, try and get her to lean forward slightly, give her that alert, "i'm ready for anything" kind of look.

Here's a piccy of a good stand, this is my dogs father

I know not the same breed but you set them up pretty much the same, both gundogs.

Hope this helps

Sweep
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2006, 12:59 PM
Needs a bit of a trim - the tail should be in line with the line of the back....... sometimes better for Owner to crouch down -have a look on this site

http://www.thegoldenretrieverclub.co.uk/

Click Show News and then any of the yellow diamonds to show a lot of Show Goldens
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2006, 01:32 PM
Agree with most of what has been said, front legs straight and the front of the feet in line with the shoulder joint, head held with the nose pointing forward, not pointing up. Front of back feet in line with the anus or tail set, tail held level and try not to show too much of your hand to the judge. tail trim with the tail in the correct position should hang in a level 'fringe'. Squat down so you are behind the exhibit and know that you have the head and tail on a level plain.

Edit to say the best description of the back leg placement is with the hock only just behind the foot with the lower leg almost upright, but the dog must be comfortable or else however good the handler stands the dog it will look awkward.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2006, 01:59 PM
Hard to put into words really isn't it Thordell! lol

Why don't you pop along to a ringcraft class, that's probably the best thing, they will show you how to move your dog properly too which is far more important
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2006, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by random
Hard to put into words really isn't it Thordell! lol

Why don't you pop along to a ringcraft class, that's probably the best thing, they will show you how to move your dog properly too which is far more important
Agree, it is also difficult to know when you are standing the dog if you have it right or not, best to use a mirror till you get a feel for it, thank G*d I have a free standing dog and they are either right or they are wrong, there is little the handler can do except make matters worse
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2006, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by Thordell
Agree, it is also difficult to know when you are standing the dog if you have it right or not, best to use a mirror till you get a feel for it, thank G*d I have a free standing dog and they are either right or they are wrong, there is little the handler can do except make matters worse
I know what you mean, sometimes I look at Maddy when she is stood and think, oh she's too far out and wonder if I have time to move her before the judge gets round Long mirror on it's side is a great plan
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2006, 02:20 PM
Think you have to have an idea of how you want to present your dog to the judge and the spectators, if you look at some of the experienced and professional handles photos in the canine press every week you wonder why they are so successful, they show their dog, legs like rocking horses, heads held so high the nose is the highest point of the dog and the tails appear to be used to stop the dog falling over. Must say I decided that win or not my dogs would be shown in a natural pose and you have guessed winning is not something I do that often, but I don’t care, my dogs will not be shown as if they are a rag doll and if I am not in fashion then so be it.
-emma-
New Member!
Female 

21-04-2006, 04:21 PM
How she is stood in the first pic is better, try and get her to lean forward slightly, give her that alert, "i'm ready for anything" kind of look.

they are 2 different dogs , the one in the first pics that is lucky i think she is easyer to do a stand with coz she lets you move her feet around with out moving them back & amber ( the dog in the 2 nd pic ) you move her leg & she moves it back
yea i see what you mean about her front leg
Needs a bit of a trim - the tail should be in line with the line of the back....... sometimes better for Owner to crouch down -have a look on this site
yea i have been meaning to trim them for a bit now but just have not got round to it . i was wordering where the tails was the meant to be
wow some people on that site did not hold there dogs
ringcraft for me is about an 1 hour way & i can not get there
Sweep
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2006, 04:28 PM
Will PM you.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >