Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
2grtpyrenees
New Member!
Female 

01-05-2017, 03:28 AM

Help - dogs chewed mouthwash bottle

Hi, I have two Great Pyrenees pups. One is 5 months the other 4 months ... both over 50 pounds. I found them chewing up a hotel size bottle of mouthwash and the bottle was emptied. The floor was wet some so I'm sure they didn't consume all of it but I've done an internet search for the ingredients and can't find out what was in it other than 4% alcohol. The smaller of the dogs doesn't seem to be affected by it at all - she's just sleeping like normal. My male, however, who had it in his mouth, at first went to sleep then woke up and was whining. He drank some water and then had trouble settling down again, but is finally asleep again too. Both of them seem to be breathing normally.

If they were small dogs I'd call my vet ASAP but given their size and uncertainty of ingestion, I'm not sure how concerned to be. When should I worry? I plan on calling my vet in the morning but I'd like to avoid emergency after hour call fees if possible.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2017, 12:15 PM
To be honest, if you are worried, I would call the vet. When my old dog ate water tablets they rung the poison hotline for advice...the tablets were foreign (Spanish) and I only had part of the box
swearondog
New Member!
Male 

11-05-2017, 05:03 PM
I would suggest you take your dog to a vet. Mouthwash got a high amount of chemicals in it.