View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-11-2015, 12:32 PM

Eating twice recommended amount. Something to worry about?

Sammy is a little gut bucket with his non stop eating. When he was on raw instead of the 90g a day he should eat he was on about 220g. When I got him he was smelly which after a time I googled and decided was yeast and had really bad yucky eyes. It didn't clear up on raw so decided to feed kibble and get him away from chicken in case that was causing the problem.

He's been on Eden fish kibble for about 3/4 weeks, his eyes are clear and he's more or less odour free except for his paws which are still yeasty. Up to 4kg should eat 20g per day. Sammy often has about 40g per day plus other little titbits. He hasn't put on weight as far as I can tell without weighing him, he's got slight coverage over his bones but still quite boney. He's energetic, full of life no problems at all, his poos are nice and firm so should I be worried that he eats so much?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-11-2015, 12:45 PM
The recommended amount for size are simply guidelines, all dogs will be different, so you feed to what your dog requires.

If he is not putting on weight and he is healthy then carry on as you are.

I feed my boy almost 3 times what is recommended, because if I don`t he drops weight quickly.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2015, 01:10 PM
I start with the guidelines then judge from there. If weight piles on, lessen the amount. If too hungry or thin, up the amount. The guidelines are a starting point.

Rosie was just the same as your guy when she was a pup. After a lot of trial and error, we have found she is highly intolerant of chicken and can tolerate some other foods only in small amounts. Because of her dicky digestive system, we have her on four meals a day. Three are Wafcol salmon and potato and one of Butchers (only the beef one - she reacts to others).

The smell, sticky eyes and pain all went away once we got her on a diet she could tolerate.
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-11-2015, 01:27 PM
Thanks Jackie that's good to know that you feed your boy 3 times the recommended amount.

Chris I'm so glad you have Rosie sorted out now it's always a worry when they aren't thriving. It's amazing the difference their food can make.

I know the amounts are only recommended but I thought at least twice as much might be cause for concern. What a relief I can relax now.

Thanks so much for the replies and putting my mind at rest.