Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
roo roo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-03-2011, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
If Im not mistaken, the dog she has is one dog, not owned for very long and was a rehome. Its a Plummer Terrier. He was thought to have Legges Perthes disease but fortunately it wasnt. Roo was very disheartened by the apparent lack of support by other Plummer breeders, which is why I am very surprised at wanting to gain KC recognition appears to mean such a lot to her.
yes all of the above is true.however i am in the process of acquiring another plummer this one from a reputable breeder with much better stock who health tests and doesnt inbreed to the extent that the person who bred my dog did.and yes i was disheartened by the lack of help and support i received on a forum i joined.(a working dog forum i have to say)noone seemed to want to discuss any health issues in the breed and noone seemed to want to offer any advice or help.then i joined another forum which is run by a completely different group of peoplewho do want kc recognition for reasons that the breed will prosper in the hands of responsible dedicated exhibitors whereas the working terrier men who tend to be on the other forum dont do health testing,dont want kc recognition and believe that as long as it works then what does it matter of it skips a bit? tbh its long complicated story and i wont bore everyone by going into the history of the breed and the two main factions etc but suffice it to say i do believe that kc recognition will help the breed, it will establish new lines and more people will breed whereas at the moment only a few kennels are breeding them and some are doing some very bad inbreeding.my dog is extremely inbred and has a few faults that id rather he didnt and yes he was a rehome.it wasnt top secret or anything i just wasnt going to mention what breed as i didnt think it had anything to do with my question.
and devildogz yes you were right.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-03-2011, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by roo roo View Post
yes all of the above is true.however i am in the process of acquiring another plummer this one from a reputable breeder with much better stock who health tests and doesnt inbreed to the extent that the person who bred my dog did.and yes i was disheartened by the lack of help and support i received on a forum i joined.(a working dog forum i have to say)noone seemed to want to discuss any health issues in the breed and noone seemed to want to offer any advice or help.then i joined another forum which is run by a completely different group of peoplewho do want kc recognition for reasons that the breed will prosper in the hands of responsible dedicated exhibitors whereas the working terrier men who tend to be on the other forum dont do health testing,dont want kc recognition and believe that as long as it works then what does it matter of it skips a bit? tbh its long complicated story and i wont bore everyone by going into the history of the breed and the two main factions etc but suffice it to say i do believe that kc recognition will help the breed, it will establish new lines and more people will breed whereas at the moment only a few kennels are breeding them and some are doing some very bad inbreeding.my dog is extremely inbred and has a few faults that id rather he didnt and yes he was a rehome.it wasnt top secret or anything i just wasnt going to mention what breed as i didnt think it had anything to do with my question.
So i guessed right
I read that their is a 3rd group now also ..
roo roo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-03-2011, 08:19 PM
oh is there?whats that one then?
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2011, 08:22 PM
Thought so - some people dont ever miss a chance to slate the KC though!
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-03-2011, 08:24 PM
oh is there?whats that one then?
I am looking at my history to see if i can find the link i looked at yesterday .
roo roo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-03-2011, 08:29 PM
crikey i always thought there were only two clubs and two factions!let me know Murf im interested
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-03-2011, 08:33 PM
European Plummer Terrier Society
Plummer Terrier Club of Great Britain
The Plummer Terrier association
How up to date this is i have no idea ,
roo roo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-03-2011, 08:37 PM
im a member of the european plummer terrier club which a democratically run organisation with committee chairman etc etc
the Plummer terrier association is also a real club mainly working terrier men
the plummer terrier great britain isnt a club and never was one.its a kennel in scotland and the people who own it now have dropped the club bit as they never had one in the first place!its just a couple who own some plummers.lol!dont ask!!!!
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

roo roo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-03-2011, 04:17 PM
yes teh wptf isnt a breed club or any type of club its just a forum for people who work their dogs.the PTA dont have their own website so a lot of the members of that club do visit this forum but its open to anyone and doesnt have any involvement with any breeds or factions.hope thats explained everything and people are more able to understand whats going on now with the two main factions.the reason we seek kc recognition is to attract more people into the breed(at the moment most folk have never heard of them outside working circles)and to get them interested enough to get them wanting to breed and establish their own lines,so that there will be more breed diversification and hence less of the people inbreeding and ruining good dogs because of health problems that are caused by too much very close inbreeding.i know that many people think the KC is the cause of all the problems in pedigree dogs.but we take a more enlightened view in that the KC dont own any dogs and that its the breeders and the breed clubs who set the agendas and are responbsible for the ills that currently beset some breeds.the KC have taken action about this now and a lot of the closely inbred matings are now not allowed and they are trying to help people to breed better dogs.we're all for that so that is why we want recognition for the breed in that we believe the way forwards for us is to gain recognition and get more people who are intelligent enough to breed carefully and responsibly and to try to stop some of the bad practices that are currently being used.
Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >