View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 12:59 AM
[QUOTE=MarcusF;2198769]Once to twice a week for one of mine and once every week to two weeks for the other one.

Hard work but worth it [/QUOTE

As a groomer I personally think thats far too much, even my show dogs only get a full bath every month if we have a show I just bath there whites.
MarcusF
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-03-2011, 02:45 AM
[QUOTE=morganstar;2198812]
Originally Posted by MarcusF View Post
Once to twice a week for one of mine and once every week to two weeks for the other one.

Hard work but worth it [/QUOTE

As a groomer I personally think thats far too much, even my show dogs only get a full bath every month if we have a show I just bath there whites.
Oh you have Afghans? Cool
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 07:37 AM
I bath Dan every couple of months, Rio a bit more often as I show her and Rogue every few weeks as she is low to the ground and gets filthy. Rio has a pollen allergy so she's bathed once a week when her skin is affected. I wouldn't use baby shampoo as human shampoos strip the oils from the coat, wheras good dog shampoos don't. I have a special harsh coat shampoo for the EMDs and use an all purpose one for Rogue. A weekly brush through keeps them clean between baths.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 03:11 PM
[QUOTE=MarcusF;2198826]
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post

Oh you have Afghans? Cool
No I dont and sarcasm is the lowest form of wit
However advising people to bath their dogs everyday when you dont know the breed is madness.
MarcusF
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-03-2011, 04:11 PM
[QUOTE=morganstar;2199191]

No I dont and sarcasm is the lowest form of wit
However advising people to bath their dogs everyday when you dont know the breed is madness.
The sarcasm was because you assumed

And I'd love to know how you got the "advising people to bath their dogs everyday" part from my previous post.

morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 04:20 PM
[QUOTE=MarcusF;2199233]
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post

The sarcasm was because you assumed

And I'd love to know how you got the "advising people to bath their dogs everyday" part from my previous post.

Sorry should have said once or twice a week I'm trying to write and essay and dropping in and out of dogsey.
Still think thats far too much for most breeds, as your likely to strip the essential oils out of the coat. The dogs I just bath and dry I recommend every 6-8 weeks.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 04:37 PM
Shamus had a bath the year before last because he rolled in human poo. I`m hoping never to need to repeat this experience.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Shamus had a bath the year before last because he rolled in human poo. I`m hoping never to need to repeat this experience.
Lol

When we adopted Pepsi we were told because of her flea allergy she must be deflead every month and bathed every week.
We did bath her for the first few weeks but I'm afraid we have been a bit lax since then and do you know what, she looks better for it. Her coat is quite shiney now.
MarcusF
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-03-2011, 04:54 PM
[QUOTE=morganstar;2199239]

Sorry should have said once or twice a week I'm trying to write and essay and dropping in and out of dogsey.
Still think thats far too much for most breeds, as your likely to strip the essential oils out of the coat. The dogs I just bath and dry I recommend every 6-8 weeks.
I'll let you off this once I should have explained better.

My youngster is going through his coat change so he needs baths that frequent to assist with mat removal and general condition, otherwise his coat will be trashed. You should never brush an afghan 'dry'. We show him also.
We use Chris Christensen's Day to Day shampoo which is designed for regular use, followed by Spectrum ten conditioner, Then every few weeks we use Clean start to get rid of any gunk before starting over.

Our other dog with his adult coat gets bathed once every week to two weeks depending on the weather and his coat. We do it the same as our youngster.

I think if you were just sticking a dog of any breed in the bath with that frequency using just a dollop of dog shampoo you'd be asking for problems.
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 05:26 PM
Once to twice a week for one of mine and once every week to two weeks for the other one.

Hard work but worth it
Why are you bathing your dogs so much? Dogs were not meant to be bathed so often as it destroys the natural oils in their coats, unless there is a medical reason?
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >