Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-10-2010, 08:24 PM

Dried liver - what is it like?

Hope this is in the right forum, wasn't sure if it should go here or in the non doggy chat part.

What is dried liver normally like. I bought some for Lana and checked it out once it was delivered. To me it's not dried liver it's burnt liver, black almost all the way through. I had to use a chisel and hammer to break bits off to check the middle. It's whole slices which have been cooked and not small bits. It looks to have been done on a grill as there is a corrugated iron effect on it. It's black and smells burnt.

Before I go complaining I want to check that this isn't what dried liver is normally like
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

02-10-2010, 08:30 PM
i dry my own liver (of course it is not my own liver) and it should be grey/brownish and beautifully crumbly when broken up.
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-10-2010, 09:23 PM
Thanks astle9. I was pretty sure that what I've got can't be described as dried liver more like cremated liver. Thanks for your reply.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2010, 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by 1cutedog View Post
Thanks astle9. I was pretty sure that what I've got can't be described as dried liver more like cremated liver. Thanks for your reply.
This is what you get as commercial dried liver.You can just about break it down the grid pattern.....Nothing like dried liver that you do yourself.....
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-10-2010, 08:11 AM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
This is what you get as commercial dried liver.You can just about break it down the grid pattern.....Nothing like dried liver that you do yourself.....
ooh so it's normally like that Well I've complained anyway, will wait to see what they say.

I'm assuming then it's okay for dogs to eat without them breaking their teeth on it or do you think people only order once and then never again

I'm not happy with it and I can't see me giving Lana any more so think I will probably chuck it and make my own in future.

It wasn't cheap either huh
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2010, 09:50 AM
I still have some that I got a year ago which I have tried using for training treats. I put it in a bag and broke it with a hammer. Only problem is that my dog doesn't particularly like it Never again! And as you say it is very expensive.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2010, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by astle9 View Post
i dry my own liver (of course it is not my own liver) and it should be grey/brownish and beautifully crumbly when broken up.
Lol
poisondwarf
New Member!
Female 

03-10-2010, 06:22 PM
how do you prepare and make your own liver?
and what do you mostly use it for? main diet or treats?

thanks
Amanda
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-10-2010, 11:34 PM
Originally Posted by talassie View Post
I still have some that I got a year ago which I have tried using for training treats. I put it in a bag and broke it with a hammer. Only problem is that my dog doesn't particularly like it Never again! And as you say it is very expensive.
Yeh I bet everyone just buys it the once, throws it out and says never again

PoisonDwarf I found this from ClaireandDaisy on another thread about doing dried liver

Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I fry liver then bake in a slow oven to dry it out then chop that up as treats. Irresistable to dogs.
And I used to make rusks for a teething dog - bake brown bread in a slow oven till hard then spread with honey.
and also this thread

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php...ht=dried+liver
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-10-2010, 08:49 AM
Put it on a tray and bake in the oven cut up when cooked i put it in bags and pop in the frezzer then take a new bag out when needed as they will even eat it frozen they also like it with a bit of crused garlic on top. Beware of other dogs when out running up to you and trying to get it out of your pockets it smells that good.