Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
2dogs2cats
New Member!
Female 

21-04-2010, 08:57 AM

Itchy dog

hi I'm new to this site, i have 2 dogs poodles and did have 2 cats up till Mon when some one ran my beloved cat 11 months old M.J. (named after Michael Jackson) over and KILLED him, i feel so lost without him he was more human than cat, and can't believe he is gone. I have a question, my miniature poodle has been liking her under belly excessively and removing fur from backs of her rear legs and her flanks i have used Combi front line on the cats and dogs for prevention of flea's it hasn't made any difference to her is there any anti itch medication i can use i have also been applying Aloe Vera gel to her skin.
montysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-04-2010, 09:17 AM
I am so sorry to hear about your poor cat, you must be so upset.

As for the dog, there are a few things that it could be. It could be a flea allergy, although you have treated him.

It could also be an allergy to food or something like pollen - there are such a lot of things dogs can react to.

My old dog, who had many allergies, used to take Piriton daily to relieve his itching, was allergic to lots of food ingredients - wheat, soya, many of the ingredients in normal dog foods, and also was allergic to my cats!

Take your dog to the vet and let them have a look at him, they will be able to give something to settle it down, relieve the itch and then you have to go through a process of elimination to find out what the problem was caused by.
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2010, 09:58 AM
Speak to your vet about Advocate - it sounds like it could be an allergy and using Advocate on a regular basis can help eliminate any flea/mite based issues (I am not saying your dog has fleas or mites It could be that they are allergic to them and even coming into contact with them can cause an allergic reaction). Your vet might also want to try an exclusion diet to rule out a food allergy. You can also ask them about SeboCalm shampoo.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2010, 12:29 PM
Malaseb shampoo is excellent - you can get it from the vet

It is allergy season - your vet is the best person to help out.
Abdala
New Member!
Female 

01-05-2010, 03:22 PM
One of the best products for Fleas is Comfortis, ask your vet about that. It is very effective. Also, fumigate the house ( I had to do this myself, and if you have tile, clean with water and bleach, fumigate sofas and beds.
A good bath with anti-fleas shampoo should help too.