Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-05-2009, 06:23 PM

Cataracts??

My old girl is starting to get cataracts, I feel surgery isn't an option because of her age. Is there any thing else I could do? I've read on the net that using vitamin C and E can help slow the process and there is eye drops available, or should I just get ready for when her sight goes - think it will be a while yet before that happens. Any advice would be appreciated
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-05-2009, 07:36 PM
Hi Leanne I would ask you vet about the various options available to you, things like laser surgery may be possible.

Otherwise blindness isn't such a big deal for a dog. With their enhanced senses of smell and sound they manage very well and their vibrissae (sensing hairs) tell them when they are getting too close to objects and this helps to prevent them bumping in to things.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 08:06 AM
Hi. My dog has cataracts, has for several years, and only just now is she completely blind in one eye. I had her assessed for surgery but decided against it for several reasons, like not a guaranteed fix, possible complications like development of glaucoma, cost prohibitive, etc. I've heard there are drops out that are purported to help, but at least over here, I havne't seen the science to back that up.

Honestly, dogs adapt so well to things like this. With cataracts, the onset of blindness is so gradual your dog will adapt beautifully and you probably won't even be able to tell she's going blind. At least, thats been my experience.

Good luck to you and your old pup.
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 11:59 PM
I had a dog who was blind in 1 eye and partialy sighted in the other at 10mths old, he had surgery in the worst eye to remove the cataracts but then got corneal dystrophy in that eye so back to the same no sight in that eye. He adapted well, he used his chin for gaging the height of things before jumping up or over (both words he knew) the only problem I had was when it was windy and the wind was in the wrong direction so he couldnt scent me, on those days I used to send the other dog to fetch him.
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-05-2009, 08:06 AM
Thanks guys, she going to see the vet tomorrow morning. I know if loses her sight she will cope as will I, it's more hubby I'm worried about lol!