Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-11-2006, 07:07 PM

Swimming

Does anyone here allow their dog to swim even though its bloody freezing???

Someone said to me yesterday (while he was in the lake swimming) that i shouldnt let Vegas swim when the water is cold incase he got a chill.He's never shivered or shown any sign of being cold when he comes out,but it just got me thinking if he ever does get cold while wet.

*I must add though that i dont actually need to throw anything into the water to encourage him in.*
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-11-2006, 07:20 PM
I keep my two outa the water at the moment, with it being so cold. But there's a guy takes his Golden retrievers down to the river where I walk and his dogs are always swimming and seem fine for it. Don't think he could stop em even if he wanted to.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2006, 07:44 PM
Ozzy paddles but won't swim anyway so I don't fret over him getting too cold - but my German Shepherd Jasper was a devil for swimming and if he had a pick to break the ice he'd have used it to enable him to get in!!!

I think it's fine to let them in as long as they get a good towel dry when you get home, I always dry Ozzy off even if it is just rainy weather as I guess that is what would most likely cause a chill (it'd be like lying in a wet duffle coat and twice as smelly )
SarahJ
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-11-2006, 07:48 PM
Ours dont swim but still get soaking wet thru paddling and fighting in the sea,its never done them any harm but then i guess their short coats help as they dont retain water as much as long hair breeds?

Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-11-2006, 07:52 PM
I always towel dry Vegas when we eventually get back to the car Anne Marie,but he's often only damp by then.I dont think personally he gets cold cause he's always running around like an idiot and despite the air temp yesterday morning being damn cold-he didnt hestitate to get in the water.
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2006, 07:58 PM
steve if vegas shows no sign of being cold i dont see any reason why he shouldnt swim my two are always out in the wet in the fields and if they find a stream there in that two and considering there coats are long they seem like there water proof but they always get a good rub down
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-11-2006, 08:07 PM
I did wonder though Jen cause despite him being short haired-it does hold onto water,but perhaps it acts like a wetsuit in that the trapped water heats up with body temperature???
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2006, 08:32 PM
most dogs are good with going in water no matter how cold it is there body temp knows when to double heat so they dont get cold there are loads of dogs who go out in all kinds of cold waters rescue dogs and yet you dont see them with a cold if vegas is enjoying the water whether its freezing or not he will let you know if hes cold
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-11-2006, 08:49 PM
Both of my dogs will charge into the water whatever the weather. There have been times it has been so cold that frost forms on their tails as soon at they emerge

Mind, one is a Newfie so freezing cold water is really her natural habitat. The other is also double coated, although as he's recently been diagnosed (and had surgery) for arthritis in his knee, we may have to rethink his winter swimming activity in future.

I've never seen either of them shiver or show signs of being cold at all.
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2006, 08:55 PM
Bodhi would swim whatever the weather, but if it is cold, I will encourage her not to if we're far from home.

If we're not far, then I let her go for it
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >