Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tessiefluff
New Member!
Female 

04-08-2018, 02:24 PM

arthritis dilemma

I have a 10 year old german shepherd who has been limping for some time. After various consultations she was x-rayed a few weeks ago and found to have quite bad arthritis in both her front legs. She is on yumove and painkillers. The painkillers seem to give her some relief.

She has always had oodles of energy and loved to chase. Really she lived to chase. Preferably other dogs but given her breed not many other dog owners are happy about this. So I have encouraged her to chase a ball.

The vet has told me not to play with a ball, presumably because this will damage her joints further. This morning she found a ball on the field and became very excited about playing. So far she has been plodding along sniffing. All well and good but the ball brought back a spark that hadn't been there for some time.

I am tempted to bring back the ball games on the grounds that it may be better to have a shorter happier life.

Just wondering what other people would do in these circumstances.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-08-2018, 02:28 PM
As a fellow arthritis sufferer I'd play ball at least some of the time, resting becomes very boring and personally I'd rather enjoy myself and put up with the pain than do nothing and have slightly less pain.
Tessiefluff
New Member!
Female 

04-08-2018, 02:51 PM
That's what I was thinking. I believe her quality of life is important and I try to make decisions based on what I would want for myself. I expect the excitement and the adrenaline rush will carry her through the pain.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2018, 05:36 AM
I have been told that my dog also has arthritis so when he plays with anything that means more movement than the usual walking about I hold his collar and throw his lead that is tied in a knot and then let him go after it. I let him do this for as long as I think he is ok. Then the lead is put back on and he is walked home so that he calms down. I let him do this exercise two or three times a week once a day on that day as long as the weather is cool. He is a 12 and a half year old Border Collie. He is on tablets for his arthritis. Also he has DND so he occasionally scrapes his back leg/legs and also limps occasionally on his front legs. I massage those when it happens and that helps and lasts for at least a few days maybe even a week. I think you just have to monitor how she is each day and let her do what she feels like doing but under control. I lost my last German Shepherd some years ago, she was 12 years old. One of my favourite breeds and brought up with them, alongside the Border Collie. Good Luck with her and I hope you have a few more years with her. x
Tessiefluff
New Member!
Female 

05-08-2018, 11:41 AM
Thank you. And I hope you enjoy lots more time with your boy.

She runs for the ball and then walks back. No twisting or turning involved. Yes it is a bit too hot for running in this heatwave. We are out really early in the day to avoid the worst of the sun. Massage sounds good. We can only do our best to make their last years as happy as possible.