Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kyllobernese
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-05-2018, 08:15 PM

Escaping dogs

Any recommendations on how to keep a dog from digging out of her run? She is not in it very often but I do have to leave her in it (along with two other dogs) when I have to be away for a weekend at an Agility trial. My brother-in-law comes down and checks on them on Sat. & Sunday so they are in there from Friday noon till Monday noon.

The last trial, I came home to find them sitting on my driveway. My front gate was closed but when I checked the fence, she had dug out the back of the run, then went down the fence line and dug back into my yard. They could have run out onto the road so do not want it happening again.

The trial this weekend, I am taking her with me as I know the other two will be fine staying in the run but it is not always convenient to take her.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2018, 09:29 PM
Three days is an awful long time to leave them in a run. I would imagine that boredom and frustration could be the cause of the problem.

Does your Brother take them out for a walk when he checks on them?

Is your vehicle big enough to take them along with you to the trials?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2018, 10:55 PM
I agree with Chris. This is incredibly worriesome ... simply out, you cannot leave dogs in this sort of situation for such a long period.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-05-2018, 10:21 AM
I'm afraid that I wouldn't be able to enjoy the trial for worrying about the dogs at home. Would it not be possible for you to change your vehicle to one which would allow you to all travel together? I only do single day shows, but here in the UK, those that camp have elaborate home from home arrangements, some even erecting portable 'gardens' for their pack.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-05-2018, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Three days is an awful long time to leave them in a run. I would imagine that boredom and frustration could be the cause of the problem.
Totally agree.
Somewhat irresponsible in my opinion.