Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Molly’sMom
New Member!
Female 

27-12-2017, 02:44 AM

New dog growls at cats

I adopted Tiny, a chihuahua only a few days ago. 4 to be exact. We brought her home to two cats that are both used to being around a small dog. For the first few days, the most either the dog or cats would do is look at the other. But now Tiny has started growling at the cats. They didn’t even come close to her, but she was obviously very upset. I looked up how to handle this but every website just tells you how to introduce them and we’re passed that stage. Any advice? For the record, Tiny has never been around cats only dogs. But both cats came to live with us when we had another chihuahua who passed away a little while ago.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2017, 09:13 AM
As long as the cats have an escape route eg: jump up onto something that the dog can't reach then they will be fine as they are used to dogs. The dog will be fine in time. Just make sure that if the dog does chase you are there to supervise. If in doubt when you go out keep them seperate.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2017, 09:55 PM
Just leave them to it! Cats pretty well rule over dogs ... just ignore the growling. i have an Alaskan Malamute wolf cross weighing in at 45 kilos - we spent christmas day with our daughter and her Bengal Tiger Cat weighing about 4 kilos - guess who was the boss!! Cats Rule OK!!
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-12-2017, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by Molly’sMom View Post
I adopted Tiny, a chihuahua only a few days ago. 4 to be exact. We brought her home to two cats that are both used to being around a small dog. For the first few days, the most either the dog or cats would do is look at the other. But now Tiny has started growling at the cats. They didn’t even come close to her, but she was obviously very upset. I looked up how to handle this but every website just tells you how to introduce them and we’re passed that stage.
Patience. Four days is not very long for your little dog to adjust to new surrounds. And take heed of what Brenda posted.
Molly’sMom
New Member!
Female 

28-12-2017, 01:46 AM
I have two cats at home and have recently adopted a new dog. The cats were used to my previous dog who passed so they are fine. The new dog however is not very used to cats. At first she simply watched them. Then she started growling quietly. Well now she has upped it to growling aggressively and and lunging after them. I stopped her before she could actually go after the cat, so I don’t know how far she would have taken it, but I’m worried. Each day she seems to get more aggressive towards them. I contacted her old foster mom for advice but she didn’t know what to do either. I tried looking into it online but they just say how to introduce the new dog and it’s too late for that. Please help
Seacrow
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-12-2017, 02:33 AM
It's not too late to go all the way back to the beginning and do a slow and steady introduction. Make sure all interactions end pleasantly, and reward Tiny if she doesn't fixate on the cats. She's probably scared silly, two big predators and she doesn't understand their body language or know what they're going to do, and now you are telling her not to warn them off by growling. She needs time to settle in and realise they aren't going to hurt her.

You are right to worry about leaving them together without supervision though. If Tiny accidentally corners a cat, the claws will come out, and Chihuahuas have prominent eyes which could get badly damaged.
COBAR5
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-12-2017, 03:05 AM
When you have your dog on leash & in control then it's time
for training , sit quiet & calm with cats in the same room
treats for dog when she remains calm,

Your dog will see the cats are part of her family very soon.