View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-01-2009, 08:13 PM
I used to know a lady who gave her dog porridge every morning, no sugar though. She did the books for a butcher so Rusty got plenty meat and bones as well. She lived to enjoy a healthy old age so it couldn't have done her much harm
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2009, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by Shih_Tzu_Lover View Post
So ?? I dont know. Please give me your own opinion without the dog phsycology
eh? what does that mean? That was my opinion, no dog psychology
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2009, 08:29 PM
Maybe it was just the way i made it but porridge didn't agree with my pup.

I tried it because the vet actually said to try it - so it can't be all that bad. I wouldn't go for the sugar though.
Shih_Tzu_Lover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-01-2009, 09:43 PM
Hi, I mean the porridge out of the cereal box not my own homemade one xx

Is this okay for him, as a stable breakfast, he eats meats like chicken and liver and tongue for his tea's and he gets doggie treats throughout the day he also gets toast x
whippetwatch
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-01-2009, 09:55 PM
That sounds as if it might have a high sugar content!

He is eating a lot of protein. Where is he getting the necessary roughage and carbohydrate from? He also need biscuit for his teeth.
whippetwatch
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-01-2009, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by whippetwatch View Post

Has your vet determined what actually makes him vomit? Is he allergic to certain ingredients? Is it the texture? In either case there are enough alternatives to enable you to find something suitable and nutritious for him to eat.
If you can answer this, we can try to help you.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2009, 12:06 AM
i give Hector Ready Brek or scott's porridge oats mixed with warm water and either honey or pureed fruit.

i give him this about once a month and he loves it. it helps keep him in the habit of eating if he starts to go off his meat.

its done him no harm. a lot of kibble has oats as a filler so i cant see why you shouldnt feed it.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2009, 08:17 AM
id feed him a little, for breakfast if he likes it! just try to do it with water or watered down milk & no sugar
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-01-2009, 10:34 AM
All my dogs have always had porridge about once a week, I like it and so do they, as I'm also lactose sensitive I use lactose free milk and I don't have sugar on it either. I wouldn't use the instant stuff as it's like baby food but real porridge only takes 5 minutes to cook anyway.

Porridge Oats: Porridge oats have a high content of complex carbohydrates and soluble fibre so they release energy slowly giving your dog more energy. The soluble fibre is also essential for healthy digestion. Furthermore, containing protein porridge oats also contain a large number of necessary vitamins and mineral for healthy growth including calcium, zinc, iron, manganese, thiamine and vitamins B1 and E.
Shih_Tzu_Lover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-01-2009, 01:44 PM
Whippetwatch:

He gets biscuits such as bonio's and wilpes shapes etc, he gets meaty dog treats, human meat aswell. Everything he needs just i was wanting to know whether he can have poriddge as a breakfast treat.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >