View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2014, 04:02 PM
My vet has always advised not to give a worming tablet on an empty stomach.Good job,as I let her have a little food and then just sneak the tablet in.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2014, 04:40 PM
I too have never heard of withholding water after worm treatment. I always go with Drontal just because it's the one DEFRA recommended for the travel requirements and the one the vet administers here. Never had a problem with worming medications but don't do it too often.

Here in Cyprus I don't find fleas to be a problem at all. Maybe because carpets are not much used - just hard tiled floors? But ticks are a problem and it is advised to use a recommended tick collar alongside Frontline to help with that if they are going to be where they are numerous. Like when I board Bella - the boarding is located in farming area - ticks always worse there.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

21-01-2014, 04:55 PM
The babies were wormed with panacur liquid guard 10% at 2 and 5 weeks, and then I used milbemax for the 8 week wormer just to ensure I had got anything there was. Vet said she very much doubted the babies had worms anyway. I wormed the mother from day 40 of her pregnancy with panacur liquid guard 10%. My vets say Milbemax is gentler.
It is in tablet form and it must taste nice because the babies loved them, I have used the Drontal tablets on the big girls and they loved them and they have also had Milbemax tablets and eaten them in seconds. I alternate all 3 wormers now to be sure
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2014, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by Hari Wallace View Post
... where on earth did I get the info .... from our vet, of course. I only withheld water for a few hours because of past experience with worming Mugsy.
Well pardon me then because you said
QUOTE "The vet now gave me Milbemax which I gave him this morning at 10 am. It is now 2pm, and he is OK. My question is do I withhold food and water and if so for how long. The vet is a bit iffy on this issue." UNQUOTE

I can't see anything in there that says the vet told you to withhold it, but in my defence, I did say that I *assumed* your vet had told you to do this, but if he did, then why the heck didn't you ask him at the time you were there for how long you had to withhold the water.

You can kill a dog by withholding water, that was my concern, so my apologies.

I hope your dog has now drunk some water and has had some food and is ok. Sorry for the confusion on my part!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-01-2014, 06:14 PM
Old thread but maybe very useful for newbies.

Pereg has Drontal Plus every six months. Two tablets due to her weight - currently about 19kg.

Some wormers are not effective for tapeworm. Drontal is. And some wormers are not suitable for certain breeds as there can be an ingredient that is contra-indicted and can trigger problems.
mastines33
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-01-2014, 07:58 AM
Always use milbemax and if you give it monthly, also covers the heartworm which happens here in this area quite a bit.. also protect them with the scalibor collars for that..
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-01-2014, 08:18 AM
Luckily we do not have heartworm or lungworm here Eva so Pereg just has Drontal Plus every six months. I did ask Ram about the Scalibor collar [his dog now wears one because he is always in the clinic with Ram] but Ram does not recommend that collar for Pereg because of her epilepsy.

So she has Drontal Plus every six months for internal parasites and is Frontlined monthly for external ones.

So far so good!
Page 6 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6