Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hedley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-12-2009, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
I have tried Wafcol Salmon and Potato for colitis and had very good results

The food has very few additives and produces nice firm poos ..
I keep trying to introduce little bits of this, but we get the blood and mucous back every time I do it. I am going to try just 2 pieces of kibble a day, moistened. Then increase it to 3, etc.

I am wondering if having kibble moistened makes a difference, as opposed to eating it dry.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-12-2009, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by Hedley View Post
I keep trying to introduce little bits of this, but we get the blood and mucous back every time I do it. I am going to try just 2 pieces of kibble a day, moistened. Then increase it to 3, etc.

I am wondering if having kibble moistened makes a difference, as opposed to eating it dry.
Hedley while a dog is passing blood and mucous I would not feed any dry food .
Until the tummy has settled and the poos are clear I would only feed boiled rice and white fish (you can buy frozen coley quite cheaply in most supermarkets, it comes in blocks of 6 squares to a packet) or cooked chicken with the skin removed (the skin contains a lot of fat).

Once the blood and mucous has cleared I would gradually reintroduce dried food over a number of days by substituting a small amount of the rice mixture for dry food and mix it in well.

When Chloe was a puppy she had frequent bouts of colitis and I always had fish in the freezer just in case. She seems to have grown out of this as she has got older .
Hedley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-12-2009, 10:45 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hedley while a dog is passing blood and mucous I would not feed any dry food .
Until the tummy has settled and the poos are clear I would only feed boiled rice and white fish (you can buy frozen coley quite cheaply in most supermarkets, it comes in blocks of 6 squares to a packet) or cooked chicken with the skin removed (the skin contains a lot of fat).

Once the blood and mucous has cleared I would gradually reintroduce dried food over a number of days by substituting a small amount of the rice mixture for dry food and mix it in well.

When Chloe was a puppy she had frequent bouts of colitis and I always had fish in the freezer just in case. She seems to have grown out of this as she has got older .
Thank you. I will get some of that frozen fish and do that tomorrow. I know fish suits him. His diarrhoea actually increased with cooked chicken and rice, but Im wondering if I gave him too much, or if he gobbled it too quickly.
Hedley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-12-2009, 10:36 AM
I have been feeding white fish with mashed potato plus a vitamin supplement and all poos are back to normal. Thank you!! I will continue for a week and then try other meats one at a time. Im forgetting prepared foods for a while, and preparing my own.
newlynk
New Member!
Female 

04-02-2011, 01:16 PM
Hello - I am new to the site but see these postings for colitis and hope this helps:
I have a 14 year old staffy boy who for months had the runs, mucusy stools, bright blood in his stools and generally being off his food. I gave him plain white fish and rice but was concerned that this diet for too long would not be giving him the correct nutrients.
Mucus in the stools is apparantly an indication of food being 'processed' too quickly through their system.
I read that grains/rice can aggravate and that switching to potato and fish would help. He cannot eat poultry either as this gives him bloody stools.
I brought a small bag 1.5kg of Fish4Dogs White Fish and Potato for about £8 from my local pet shop - just to see if it worked.
Wow what a difference to him - solid stools within a day of eating it, he loves it and it also comes in a small kibble that is easily eaten and digested as he has not got many teeth.
I have tried so many different foods - he used to be fine on Burns but then suddenly refused to eat it (perhaps they changed it?), he then tried ProPlan Salmon, Pero - I was getting very worried that I could not find anything suitable.
People say changing food aggravates it and I ended up not knowing if I was doing wrong by him which is very upsetting.
The Fish4Dogs is brilliant - shop around on the internet for cheap prices as it can be a pricey - worth it if it works though! Their own website offers a sample pack for £1 p&p but the small 1.5 kg bag is not too much to pay to try it out for a few weeks.
They also offer a salmon and potato.
It is a huge relief to see him eating and more importantly pooing properly! I wasgetting so upset seeing him so poorly and really felt that perhaps his age had caught up with them and there was nothing else we could do about it.
Might be worth a try for any of you with similar problems.
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5