View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kyllobernese
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-03-2015, 02:02 AM
Remmy, my Shih Tzu x Maltese, started having seizures when he was two years old. Our Vets will not start them on any medication unless they have several in a short period of time. He is 8 years old now and up until last July, he usually had them about once a month. Last July he had a cluster of them and the Vet gave me some rectal atavan to give him. I only used it one time, then it was about a month before he had another. He suddenly stopped having them and has not had another one in the last seven almost eight months.
KennyUK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

17-03-2015, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by Kyllobernese View Post
Remmy, my Shih Tzu x Maltese, started having seizures when he was two years old. Our Vets will not start them on any medication unless they have several in a short period of time. He is 8 years old now and up until last July, he usually had them about once a month. Last July he had a cluster of them and the Vet gave me some rectal atavan to give him. I only used it one time, then it was about a month before he had another. He suddenly stopped having them and has not had another one in the last seven almost eight months.
Hi Kyllobernese

Sorry to read about your dog and his health but how great he has been free for nearly 8 months, lets hope it stays that way

May I ask what his symptoms are (apart from the seizures)?
KennyUK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

17-03-2015, 01:05 PM
Can anyone offer any advice please on how to deal with the obsessive behavior like constantly licking everything, going in circles form one room to another and so on...

I am finding I cant deal with this
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-03-2015, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by KennyUK View Post
Can anyone offer any advice please on how to deal with the obsessive behavior like constantly licking everything, going in circles form one room to another and so on...

I am finding I cant deal with this
Hi Kenny when Harvey exhibits this behaviour the best thing to do if you can is to distract him and give him something to occupy his attention.
Does he like chewing thing or playing with toys, they may help.
KennyUK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

17-03-2015, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Hi Kenny when Harvey exhibits this behaviour the best thing to do if you can is to distract him and give him something to occupy his attention.
Does he like chewing thing or playing with toys, they may help.
Hi Meg

Thanks for the kind reply...

He loves playing tug with a rope toy but the vet said to avoid that kind of play (anything that could jerk his head) but I am not sure of the brand name but he loves one toy chew thing.

Its that indestructible one that a weird shape and you put a treat inside, I tried a marrow bone chew inside and it seems to hold his attention so thanks, with my confuddled mind at the moment I would not have thought of this.

Thanks
KennyUK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

17-03-2015, 07:12 PM
Harveys had an up and down today.

This morning he was full of energy and really excited to go on a walk. He was even running ahead which he has not done since his seizure and he was even up for a game of fetch the stick.

He was fine this afternoon, just seemed his normal self and I was able to get some weeding in the garden done. I dared to think that maybe, maybe, his med's were working and he maybe Okay.

This evening is completely different.

After his dinner (always at 4pm) he laid straight in his bed and had a snooze. He then refused point blank to go for his evening walk and just seemed a bit spaced out. I just sat with him giving some fuss and comfort.

Twice now this evening he got out of his bed and he has been very shaky on all four legs and while walking he kinda stumbled as if his back legs gave way??????
KennyUK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

17-03-2015, 07:20 PM
And just now, he was laying in his bed one moment and shot across the room as if he had been pricked by pin

What on earth is going on!!!!
Meg
Supervisor

17-03-2015, 08:37 PM
Kenny one thing you ought to do is to keep a diary with timings, that way you may be able to see 'a pattern' emerging.
Harvey's symptoms might become worse at certain times eg when he is tired or when the medication is due.

This will help the vet to do an evaluation...
KennyUK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

17-03-2015, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Kenny one thing you ought to do is to keep a diary with timings, that way you may be able to see 'a pattern' emerging.
Harvey's symptoms might become worse at certain times eg when he is tired or when the medication is due.

This will help the vet to do an evaluation...
Meg

What a great idea and it will give me something pro-active to do.

Thank you
Meg
Supervisor

17-03-2015, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by KennyUK View Post
And just now, he was laying in his bed one moment and shot across the room as if he had been pricked by pin

What on earth is going on!!!!
Kenny I know it must be difficult when you are alone and scared but try to remain bright and 'matter of fact' when Harvey behaves oddly so that he does not pick up on your anxiety .

I really do empathise, when you live alone and your only companion is ill it really does scare you.
My previous dog started having 'episodes', but they were due to her age related heart failure and insufficient blood reaching the brain.
Amy would go wobbly and collapse and I was sooo scared.
Luckily her condition was treatable with medication.

Try to stay positive...(hugs)
Page 6 of 62 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 56 > Last »