register for free

Dog News

Motorists warned not to leave dogs in their cars

...has received 62 comments (page 6)
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2014, 01:01 PM
Many many people leave their dogs with no problem it's only the one's who don't assess the risks properly that get into trouble. When we don't hear about the successful cases we get these over reactions. And the RSPCA will only react if a dog is in trouble, they see many dogs who aren't and do not act. If they acted every time a dog was in a car we would be a nation of windowless cars by now.

I would agree some people should never leave their dogs in cars they are obviously too stupid to do it safely but like anything we all cop the hysteria when they fail.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-05-2014, 01:17 PM
Well the Dog trusts vets disagree with you Julie and while you can do as you please with your dogs it's irresponsible to keep saying it's safe.

Dogs Trust vets have issued the following advice to pet owners and concerned animal lovers:
•Don’t leave your dog in a parked car, even for a few minutes - even if it seems cool outside it can become very hot very quickly. Parking in the shade and/or keeping the windows down does not make it safe
•If you see a dog in distress in a parked car call the Police Service (101) or the RSPCA (SSPCA in Scotland)
•Make sure you keep your dog as cool as possible when driving. Avoid travelling during the heat of the day, use sun blinds on the windows and consider opening a window a little to allow a cooling breeze to circulate in the vehicle
•Make sure you have a supply of water and know where you can stop off for water breaks. Dogs are not able to cool down as effectively as humans so could suffer from heat stroke and dehydration very quickly
•If you are present at the rescue of a dog from a hot car that is clearly in distress, seek immediate veterinary advice. The very first priority is to prevent the dog from getting any hotter, attempt to provide shade from the sun and move to a cooler area. Dampening the dog down with cool (but not freezing) water will help start to bring the body temperature down
•Wet towels can be used to cool a dog but these must be regularly changed or spraying them down with water and placing them in front of the air conditioning vent to enhance evaporation on the way to the emergency appointment
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2014, 01:54 PM
I must say, I didn't see Julie say it was safe in those words. She does it, and it works for her and has for a long time. Doesn't mean it's safe in general.

It's comparable to smoking IMO. People do it for years and years, but they would never tell anybody else it's a SAFE thing to do. They also usually would not recommend people do it. They just do it. Who are we to judge those people? Do it if you want to if it works for you.

It's not safe, it's not recommended, and it's not advisable. Despite that, it works for her and she's going to do it as she sees fit. It's time to let it go and maybe give Julie a break IMO.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

25-05-2014, 02:05 PM
Myra the news article isn't about Julie and what she does with her dogs it's about the warning given out by the dogs trust and the campaign to educate those who think it's ok to leave their much loved pets in cars. They don't do it because they mean to cause their pets harm they do it because they think it's ok.
Anything can happen while you pop into the supermarket with your dogs left in the car. You could have a fall etc and an ambulance be called and all the while your dogs are being left in the car perhaps for far longer than you intended because the focus would be on you and getting you treated. As someone who has had two strokes and never know when the next one might strike it's certainly not something I would risk, and if it happened in the supermarket while my husband was with me I know he'd be totally focused on me and not the dogs and he ain't stupid.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

25-05-2014, 02:15 PM
It's comparable to smoking IMO. People do it for years and years, but they would never tell anybody else it's a SAFE thing to do.
No its not comparable to smoking, if you smoke you are endangering yourself, we have laws against cruelty to animals, and if you allow your dog to suffer and die an excruciating death in this country you will be prosecuted under cruelty to animals, you don't get prosecuted for smoking yourself to death.

This is not about Julie or how she discards any advice, its about a warning that has to be given out year in and year out, to hopefully educate owners to the dangers of leaving dogs in cars......... dogs die in cars every year, its not an exaggeration or over the top to say so !
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2014, 02:17 PM
If we think like that Trouble we would never own a dog, we could die when out and the dog not be found at home just as easily. And no it wasn't about me I was just giving an alternative view, something we were all allowed to do I thought on the forum. When people find they are in a situation where they have to leave a dog it's wise to let them know it can be done safely with enough planning, not just a blanket don't do it so they have no idea how to do it safely.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

25-05-2014, 02:35 PM
Well no one said you couldn't have your point of view Julie and I have to think like that as I am likely to have many more strokes in my life before one bumps me off. I see no reason not to have dogs as a consequence, I don't live alone so my dogs would still have someone to care for them and I no longer walk the dogs alone so there would be no chance of me dropping dead leaving the dogs to roam alone. If I go out I tell people where I'm going and how long I'm likely to be, if I'm held up I update them. Inconvenient? of course it is but it's safe.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2014, 02:56 PM
Smokers endangers everyone. Their secondhand smoke is more dangerous to me than what they inhale as it is not filtered, and it also damages the ozone/air we all breathe each day. Much like car exhaust.

They endanger far more than themselves, they endanger their pets, their kids, other family, and random strangers near them, as well. It's illegal to smoke in most public places and you can be prosecuted for doing so BTW. Just wanted to clear that up. Moving along as the article isn't about smoking.

We all know it's not safe, but there are people who do it and won't/can't stop doing it. What good does it do to keep telling them it's not safe? THEY KNOW THAT, they just do it anyway and endeavor to minimize the risk to their dogs and so far, have done just that for quite some time.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2014, 04:01 PM
Well I will admit I am not perfect and I can't live up to others standards because I couldn't live my life like that, seeing my niece died just recently when alone with her little girl it really is not something I can plan for like that.

I agree with you mjfromga about smoking that does affect everyone not just the smoker.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2014, 04:14 PM
Julie, nobody is perfect. And nobody knows your situation well enough to judge you or your actions. I kinda did that at first, but then I realized that you're doing what you're doing with full knowledge, that you aren't stupid, and that you are aware of the risks and don't need any of my "advice" or "garbage" as it won't help anything or anyone.

What you're doing works for you, you are doing the best you can, and if you don't have other options or if you believe it to be the best thing for you, your dogs, and your situation, there is no way I can or will refute that or rebuke you.
Page 6 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top