register for free

Dog News

Motorists warned not to leave dogs in their cars

...has received 62 comments (page 3)
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-05-2014, 10:24 AM
It was a current news article therefore posted in this News Section.

It has now been reported again

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/...gs-in-hot-cars

Therefore although we, on Dogsey, know of the dangers of leaving dogs in cars during hot weather, The Dogs Trust are doing their best to make sure that everyone knows about it, not just Dogsey members.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

24-05-2014, 10:28 AM
I think it's normal to discuss news articles anyway, and the point of a forum is an exchange of views also it comes under the general dog chat section so why not talk about it?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2014, 10:58 AM
I totally agree with trouble. I would never leave Ben in the car during warm weather, he comes everywhere with us - if we want to go out for a meal, we only go to a dog friendly pub, we haven't been able to go abroad for 16 years, nor the theatre, the cinema, and we do all of our shopping on the internet. I am strongly of the opinion that our dogs are totally dependent on us for their welfare and unlike a child cannot call out for help. I have only ever left dogs in my car for very short periods whilst paying for petrol, popping out to post letters, NEVER to sit in a pub or restaurant stuffing my face whilst my poor dog is alone in the car, whether or not the weather is hot or cold. When absolutely forced to I have left tai and Ben home alone, but otherwise my dogs come with me.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2014, 11:06 AM
I have a feeling she does not want to talk about it because she is in the minority here, ie nobody agrees with her. I can't ever see myself leaving any pets in the car with the windows rolled down for 20 minute periods or longer. No way, never. And how on Earth is your house hotter than being in a car?

I'll be getting my driver's license next year and driving around with my dogs etc. and if I know I can't bring them inside where ever I'm going or take them out with me, they'll be staying home.

My Nigredo is mixed with mountain breed and overheats easily, anyway. He'd be TOAST in a hot car far quicker than 20 minutes, and if the windows were down, he'd JUMP OUT seeking cooler temperatures. The dogs also need water, and time to stretch etc.

I just can't see it. I mean there are a thousand reasons I'd never do this. All of them valid and good reasons. IMO, it's not safe, not smart, and not needed.

Granted Julie says she's done it for 30 years with no problems, which is great as she likely has it down to a science... but I'd always STRONGLY advise that nobody ever do this...

You know... ever in their lives. Ever.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2014, 11:28 AM
Excuse me ! I don't want to talk about it on the front page because IMO this front page section should not be about discussing anything just reporting news items. We used to have a decent section for discussions the forum seems to be suffering by lumping everything together on the front page. Nothing to do with how I keep my dogs. I actually if it's anyone's business lived with one of my dogs in a car for nearly a year none of us came to any harm because we were careful and sensible about where we parked up.

My windows are open when necessary and the dogs are safely behind a dog guard or in a crate so they cannot harm themselves or leap out. They have water in their bowls and room to stand and stretch out. So stop being so judgemental. Oh and in our flat with the windows closed in summer with sun directly in the living room it gets incredibly hot we have bought them a portable air conditioner to help, but can't leave it on while we aren't here.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2014, 11:45 AM
I did not judge you. I will not judge you. I have not judged you. If you're comfortable doing this, there is nobody on this Earth that can convince you it isn't a good idea anyway.

No matter how many horror stories you see about it, no matter how many people say it's not a good idea, and no matter how much harm comes to pets each year because of it, you'll continue to do it.

Why? Because it has not negatively affected you. That is a fair point, but it does not mean that we don't get worried when we hear so many pets coming to serious harm while being left in cars.

I know that I'd not be able to do this without something terrible happening at some point or another, so i'd not even think about it. I'm glad it works for you and your dogs, but that doesn't mean it's a good thing to do.

Again, was not trying to judge you because I don't know you. Didn't mean for it to come off that way and if it did, I apologize.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

24-05-2014, 12:34 PM
We do still have a discussions and debates section, that hasn't changed. This was posted in the news section because the story is currently being run in several Newspapers to which Malka posted a link. Like most news stories they prompt discussion and debate, they're still News.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

24-05-2014, 01:39 PM
e
IMO this front page section should not be about discussing anything just reporting news items.
Are you suggesting that no comments should be aired in this section , surely not!

This is a very important topic that should be discussed, its important enough that year in and year out its put out there with the hope of educating people to the dangers of leaving their dogs in cars on hot days.........unfortunately as this thread has shown, no amount of education or awareness is going to convince some people its a stupid neglectful thing to do to your dogs.

You many think you have left your dog in safety , but I guess the RSPCA and police will not be concerned with your view as they break into your car on a hot day to rescue (hopefully) a distressed dog.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

24-05-2014, 02:00 PM
This News Section is on Dogsey's Home Page - frequently the first thing that non-Dogsey guests see when they have a look to see whether to join Dogsey or not.

I post news items which appear in the media, whether they are warnings or otherwise. The fact that Dogsey members already are aware of these warnings does not negate either the news items or the fact that there are people visiting Dogsey as guests who might not be as savvy, and who might be grateful for the advice given in such warnings.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2014, 02:11 PM
RSPCA will not be breaking into my car they have no need to as my dogs are fine. Really you need to be sensible and think before you park, but the idea we leave them for hours while we eat and drink ect is absolutely made up by your own imaginations. We also holiday in a campervan, so they have to stay in that sometimes or would you not give them the fun and excitement of a bit of travelling too !

And I wasn't being critical of your postings Malka I just think sometimes things get bickery and that doesn't look good on the front page of what used to be the best dog forum around.
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top