register for free

Dog News

Tail docking benefits working dogs, says study

Docking the tails of working dogs by a third while they are puppies could significantly decrease their risk of injury, according to research.

A survey of more than 1,000 owners of working dogs found more than half of undocked spaniels experienced a tail injury of some sort in the last year.

The study from the University of Glasgow was commissioned by the Scottish government.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-...itics-26900170

Your comments and views:
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2014, 06:14 PM
I have only had one docked dog and poor thing was always being misunderstood by other dogs. And he was the only one who ever had an injury (stump split when he reversed into a door). Mine over the years have had plumes and tiny thin twiggy ones and the otter tail of a lab, none have ever come to any harm. And why are only some working breeds traditionally docked we see them do the same jobs (gun dogs) but only some breeds are docked. Which means one side or the other are being neglectful at best !
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-04-2014, 06:43 PM
According to the story, the The Scottish Gamekeepers Association said "many dogs suffered agonising tail injuries while working in thick undergrowth."
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2014, 06:57 PM
Yes but why some breeds and not others they work in same conditions.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2014, 07:50 PM
If the 'thick undergrowth' was bad enough to cause 'agonising injuries' to a tail - I'd have thought it would be liable to cause agonising injuries to other parts of the dog's anatomy?
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-04-2014, 08:38 PM
That is what I would have thought.
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-04-2014, 11:03 PM
Although not wishing to come out in favour of tail docking, I think it would bw safe to say that injuries occur more often to the end of the tail because while working spaniels in particular wag their tail when on scent and the stronger the scent the more they wag. Whereas the dog end of the tail will move some 4 to 6 ins from side to side the extreme end will be waving away over an arc of some 3 to 4 feet in consequence of which it will be moving at some considerable speed and as there is only skin over the top of bone with little or no soft tissue to protect it the chance of serious injury is heightened. Running dogs (which if they are working need their tail for balance) do get end of tail injuries but with mine I have never known it to happen in cover - but at home when wagging tails hit against hard surfaces and split. This being as a result of them just being happy to see you and a bit of over exuberance in the wagging department.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2014, 02:47 PM
Labradors have thick heavy tails that wag hard and thump things a lot, but docking isn't part of the breed at all. So to me, that isn't a good reason to dock any dogs tail. Working dogs like spaniels, perhaps. But Dobermans, Rotts, and Boxers? There isn't a solid reason to dock there IMO.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-04-2014, 12:29 PM
Labs and other gundogs aren't docked due to A)the type of work they do B)the grounds they work and C) the way they move. Spaniels move QUICK and all over the place, in dense and thick undergrowth to flush birds to the gun...with the way they move and the manner of their job then yes, having a tail does pose a significant more of a risk. To compare to other breeds is ridiculous and shows such little understanding.
Breeds like labs and setters do not work in the same manner at all. Terriers were traditionally docked from a P.O.V of less to be manouvering down a hole/less for verminous target to grab a hold of.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2014, 01:03 PM
If that last bit was true then they would have left less of a stump, as is they leave enough to drag the dog out of the hole with, which IMO says something about mind set of those using their dogs to kill creatures.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top