Our sister sites
Our sister sites
maddison
New Member!
Female 

06-05-2013, 12:45 PM

Dachshund - itchy skin

Hi all,
I have a 1 Year old Dachshund (Miah) who over the last couple of months has started getting really itchy skin. She constant licks her feet and scratches her belly and sides. She doesn't have any fleas and is fleas and wormed regularly. Im yet to get her allergy tested, which is what im assuming it could be. I have also played around with her diet a bit ruling out any allergies there. Although this is hard because she is the worlds fussiest/spoilt dachshund! I was just wondering if anyone has any all natural suggestions to try and ease her itching?
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2013, 03:47 PM
It could be a dust allergy? Tonks is allergic to dust and storage mites and the only way we could stop the itching is putting her on Atopica, medrone and a antihistamines.

We did try evening primrose oil and borage before that though.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2013, 04:13 PM
Allergies are rife this time of year with the grasses and pollens and being a dacshund she will be low to the ground to be in contact with these things.

I would firstly try Piriton, give one twice a day to start. If this helps and the itching seems better within a couple of days, then you know this is the problem.

If it doesn't help it could be diet, not sure what you are feeding, or what treats you are giving so cannot advise you any further on that unless I know.

Another thing it could be is Anal glands. If they become full many dogs will get itchy especially their feet.

I would certainly try the Piriton first though. Hope this helps.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2013, 11:31 PM
Hi - is your Dog a standard or miniature ? I would check Piriton dosage with your vet first depending on size. Our dogs are itchy too at the minute, they are allergic to grass in the growing season. Dipping her feet in a mild Malaseb (shampoo from vet) solution may help with itchy feet. I also use a sponge dipped in the solution to wipe down any other areas which appear to be itchy

As a first off though I think you should visit your vet and see what they say. They can give a quick acting antihistamine injection which gives the animal relief and will advise meds thereafter if they feel its necessary.