Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Margaret
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2013, 12:38 PM

Advantage v Frontline Combo

Took my dogs to the vets yesterday for their booster and to get some more Frontline Combo and Melbemax as it turned out my vet has discontinued using this and has prescribed Advantage monthly and a Drontal tablet every SIX months
as she recons this is a better flea and worm treatment, anyone else use this combination?
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2013, 01:06 PM
My vet seems to alternate every couple of years theory is they blighters won't get used to the products that way.

Not had a problem with any combination except late Duncan couldn't have spot on treatments after he fitted when we put one on him.
Margaret
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2013, 01:19 PM
Thanks Julie I was just a bit worried it wouldn't suit them as they were fine on Frontline and as for giving two Drontal tabs every six months I've never heard of that before, I'll just have to wait and see how they do on this.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-05-2013, 01:23 PM
My vet gives Drontal Plus every six months as it is effective against tapeworms whereas not all worming pills are. I also use Frontline Spot-on for Pereg [every month except for December and February] as it is effective against ticks as well as fleas.
Margaret
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2013, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
My vet gives Drontal Plus every six months as it is effective against tapeworms whereas not all worming pills are. I also use Frontline Spot-on for Pereg [every month except for December and February] as it is effective against ticks as well as fleas.
I used Frontline Combo every two months as prescribed but the Advantage has to be administered every month the Vet seems to think this is a better treatment I just hope it suits them ok.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2013, 01:33 PM
I really don't like any of those harsh poisons on my dogs. I have always used flea collars on my dogs. They seem to work well, so long as you don't lapse and let them get old. They don't do a good job of killing fleas on the dog, but they prevent them really well.

My last dog got fleas in the winter for the first time and it was UGLY! I was giving him daily brewers yeast and garlic for a while and after a month or so... all his fleas were gone and didn't come back. They said apple cider vinegar helps too but when I added it to his water, he kept coughing so I think it was too harsh for him.

I was using brewers yeast pills, but the powder can also go into their coats to use as flea powder. I was then able to give it to him only about twice a week to keep them away.

I'm going to go this route with my new puppy once he gets old enough. For now, I'm on FrontLine 23-44 lb and he doesn't have fleas (didn't have them before treatment either) but he's been scratching ever since I put him on it... most likely allergic reaction or something... so I really hate these medicines and don't advise them at all.

Also, DON'T USE COMFORTIS!! I have heard REALLY bad things about it. People's dog have died and whatnot. I don't know about Drontal, though.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

01-05-2013, 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by minx4 View Post
I used Frontline Combo every two months as prescribed but the Advantage has to be administered every month the Vet seems to think this is a better treatment I just hope it suits them ok.
The problem with Advantage is that is does not kill or prevent ticks, and with so many loose and/or stray dogs around that can get into my front yard, many [if not most] having both fleas and ticks, plus the fact that Pereg sleeps on my bed, I really do not fancy either fleas or ticks on her.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2013, 02:29 PM
I use Frontline here. However, it does not PREVENT ticks getting on them - it just ensures they won't hang on more than a day or whatever.

When my dog is boarded they insist on the really EFFECTIVE tick collars as well as the Frontline. The big yellow rubbery ones - not the ones you can buy in supermarkets and petshops.

Frontline here has to be administered by a vet at an exorbitant cost - so you have the PROOF in the health book that they have been treated.

Fortunately for me my boarding kennels know me well enough that they know I wouldn't short-change my dog and they accept my word that I Frontline her regularly. She has had ONE tick in her life - picked up at the boarding (it is on farmland) just inside her ear and they are at pains to tell you to check. Fortunately she is velvet short coated and they would 'stand out a mile'. Was not the same with my CKCS at all. She had flea allergy contact dermatitis and I had to Frontline her more than once a month. And much harder to find ticks on her too.

And YES the frontline can cause an irritable reaction. Happened every time I treated my Cavvy. You just have to put up with it for a day or so knowing that it isn't infestation - it is a reaction - Cavvies are so bleedin' sensitive to EVERYTHING!

My Limassol vet here told me that the Frontline used in Cyprus is stronger to deal with the greater risk. I don't actually believe that. But hey what do I know? I do know it costs €10 per pipette from the Vet but MUCH cheaper online.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

01-05-2013, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
...[snip]...
My Limassol vet here told me that the Frontline used in Cyprus is stronger to deal with the greater risk. I don't actually believe that. But hey what do I know? I do know it costs €10 per pipette from the Vet but MUCH cheaper online.
He could be correct as I have heard that the Frontline Plus imported here is also stronger - something to do not only with the greater risk but mainly because of the heat. I have never asked Ram though so have no idea whether in fact it is true or not.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2013, 03:09 PM
I use Advocate once a month which also protects against lung/heart worm.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >