register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-05-2013, 04:48 PM
One of my girls (Cariad) is a nightmare when she is in the house, the minute I go out she starts pacing and carrying on. I am glad she is outside mainly with the others because I have no idea what sort of havoc there would be when I got back, based on the stuff that has happened when I have left her inside the house.
I have no idea what to suggest because nothing has worked for me and I've tried everything. I really feel for you and I bet you are worried about your holiday now.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-05-2013, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Have you tried DAP diffusers & Rescue Remedy? Put couple of drops of Rescue Remedy on her tongue about 30 mins before you leave
No , not tried as yet, she has been on diazepam for the last mth, so I would think that should help her

But will get some of the above , anything is worth a go.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

10-05-2013, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
One of my girls (Cariad) is a nightmare when she is in the house, the minute I go out she starts pacing and carrying on. I am glad she is outside mainly with the others because I have no idea what sort of havoc there would be when I got back, based on the stuff that has happened when I have left her inside the house.
I have no idea what to suggest because nothing has worked for me and I've tried everything. I really feel for you and I bet you are worried about your holiday now.
Yes the holiday is a worry, hopefully we can get to the point, we can go away
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2013, 06:11 PM
What a nightmare - I do really feel for you because I know what it's like.

We no longer even try to leave Jimmi alone, and to be honest sometimes I feel as if my life is on hold here.

We dare not shut him in his cage, because if he scrabbled - and I am sure that he would - then his delicate paws would blow up like balloons in next to no time. Just not worth it.

We have found no solution to this, and although it is just possible that if we left him with the run of the house he would settle, we just cannot take the risk of him wrecking the place.

I do hope that you find some solution. Good luck
Meg
Supervisor

10-05-2013, 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Well talk about speak to soon, I have been out for a few hrs today, and when I got in, she has destroyed the house she has chewed the kitchen door, to the point of making her mouth bleed, pulled all sorts of work tops, up ended plants, and started on the laundry door broken crockery all over the kitchen , I really am despairing, the holiday is coming up and I just don't know how we are going to leave her during the day.

I am thinking of getting my crate out and trying to get her used to it again, but am worried that she may get more stressed in there and do herself some damage, we have to find a solution to this, and soon.......before I KILL HER!!!!
I think I will need one of those before long

She was raised in a crate, I have always used them for pups , and the chewing stages, but its been years since she has been in one, and my concern is, that given she is stressed , she will be equally stressed in a crate and do herself damage trying to get out of it.

I thought we were making progress with the SA, have been leaving her for longer periods , but to day I was out for much longer than usual, and it was not good.

Millie has always been the kind of dog you could go out at 8 am and come home at 8pm and she would still be in the same spot, (not that we would leave her that long) so i guess we have some more work to do.
JB what a worry for you it is just a thought but could there be an element of displacement activity here. If Millie is still experiencing pain and you remove her 'security blanket' (you) she is engaging in this behaviour to detract not just from your absence but also the pain

How big is the crate ? If it is of a reasonable size I would get it out now and start building it up as a place of security with a really thick comfy bed/toys/an old worn article of clothing that has your scent on it. I am not suggesting you close the crate door just use it to provide a sanctuary for Millie.
Hide treats in it/feed in there/ see how it goes, it may not help at all but you have nothing to lose .
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2013, 09:04 PM
Hi We were getting over seperation issues,she seemed happyand greeted us when we arrived home.but the other day we came back,no sign of her,found her behind the chair,so I think have to go back to step 1 radio on and the cage with a blanket and something of me to lie on.but my neighbour said there were people knocking for Christian Aid Week,and this may have spooked her.Gemini54
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

11-05-2013, 08:10 AM
Minni, you may have a point about the displacement activity, it's a possibility I guess.

The crate is huge, and I would do as you suggest, maybe a small area may make her feel a little safer.... I don't know.....to be honest it's not the damage that is the worry, doors and items can be replaced, its the thought of the stress she must be going through that upsets me.

She's an old girl who has always felt safe and loved, after what she's beed through the last few mths, she must be feeling so insecure .
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

11-05-2013, 09:12 AM
Oh dear Jackie I have just caught up with the damage Millie has done.
What an worry for you especially with your holiday coming up and of course you do need to go out sometimes.

Mini's ideas sounds a good one it will be interesting to hear how the trial goes with her.
Good luck with it.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2013, 10:09 PM
Minni, you may have a point about the displacement activity, it's a possibility I guess.

The crate is huge, and I would do as you suggest, maybe a small area may make her feel a little safer.... I don't know.....to be honest it's not the damage that is the worry, doors and items can be replaced, its the thought of the stress she must be going through that upsets me.

She's an old girl who has always felt safe and loved, after what she's beed through the last few mths, she must be feeling so insecure .
I really feel for you Jackbox. The worst thing for me re my dog would be that she had to suffer pain. And though it's obviously not nice to have your home or possessions wrecked - like you it would be the thought of the stress that caused the behaviour that would upset me too.

I can't offer any useful advice. Just to say I feel for you and your dog and hope you can somehow work through this.
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5