View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2013, 01:37 PM
No one can recommend the perfect diet for your dog (and that includes raw) as every dog is an individual and so has individual needs and preferences.

There are a lot of good commercial wet/dry foods out there and also raw or home cooked. Much depends on what suits your dog.

As a guide, it's well worth avoiding grains, additives/E numbers as they tend to cause upset and/or behaviour problems.

Good luck in finding the right one for your dog
Azz
Administrator
Male 

09-01-2013, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by Roger Biduk View Post
With due respect, the guide says the best food "normally comes down to personal choice". So not true.
Good point Roger. I have updated it to:

And the best?

So which is the best dog food? People usually make their choice based on what's best for them, and sometimes that takes precedence over what's best for their dog. Some people like the convenience of feeding dry food as it’s less messy - no tins to open each day. They also come in a variety of types, organic, holistic or additive free 'natural 'dry food, and nowadays you can get some that are 'species-appropriate', too. As dry dog food comes in many varieties for different kinds of dogs it’s easy to see why it's now one of the most popular forms of dog food. Some people feed tinned food because it’s easier to transport and more widely available, or its just what they’re used to. RAW and home-cooked dog food fans like the fact that the food is ‘natural’ and perhaps more importantly, species appropriate - as well knowing exactly what's going into it. So from a dog's perspective, a species-appropriate, additive-free diet is probably best.

Choosing your dog’s food will be one of the most important decisions you make for him, and he’ll appreciate you taking the time to find the best one for him, the one he’ll thrive on, and which will help him live a happy, and healthy life. Good luck - and if you have any questions, ask on our dog forum
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2013, 08:51 PM
Good luck! Agree with everyone else, I think CSJ no grainer and fishmongers are often a good place to start, for reasonably priced food that's not full of god knows what.

Different dogs do well on different foods, normally i wouldn't dream of feeding bakers, but it was the only thing that didn't make Sweep itch, and he used to itch so badly, though that is probably the exception that proves the rule!

Nothing wrong with a bit of experimentation
lewanna87
New Member!
Female 

09-01-2013, 10:50 PM
Hello I was told by people that IAMS was best for my dog. When we adopted him this is what he was given by someone who is supposed to be great with dogs etc. I have not been well and started wondering what was going on. I have since discovered that in all the rubbish (polite word used) in IAMS there is egg. I am severely allergic to egg. My dog has a sensitive tummy and we want to stay with a complete dry food as when we tried introducing him to raw he was very ill, part of this is my dog prefers to graze but also the meat just didn't sit well with him.

I have been using this site whichdogfood.co.uk. It gives you foods based on your dogs size, how much you can afford etc. I liked the look of Wainwrights but this is not possible as the closest place that stocks it is over 30 miles and 3 busses away. Our local supermarket stores these two which although don't have as high a rating I wondered on your opinion, one was Lathams, and the other Harringtons. Any advice would be appreciated, but we will not be retrying the raw diet as it made my poor boy very sick. I'm including a pic so you can get an idea of his size, he is just a little mixed breed.

[IMG][/IMG]
dorris
New Member!
Female 

21-04-2013, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Crissie what are you feeding at the moment...
I am feeding her on mince morsels at moment but she is putting on weight I need a dry food shes 8 years old still very active but over weight what do advise to give her ?
BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2013, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by dorris View Post
I am feeding her on mince morsels at moment but she is putting on weight I need a dry food shes 8 years old still very active but over weight what do advise to give her ?
My two have autarky occasionally and seem to really enjoy it.
They do a 'mature lite' type for older dogs in chicken and salmon. I don't believe theres any egg in it
Dr Salter
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-04-2013, 12:14 PM
Lewanna, what a cracking little dog!

You could try Arden Grange Dog Food-good quality and reasonable priced.
lindaisy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-04-2013, 11:28 PM
What's right for mine may not be right for your....I know you have had a lot of information about different brands.

Below is a link to CSJ lots of info, advice and samples.

My girl settled better on this than any other...

http://www.csjk9.com/

Weight loss
http://www.csjk9.com/productcart/pc/...8&idcategory=4
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2013, 01:02 AM
Originally Posted by Roger Biduk View Post
With due respect, the guide says the best food "normally comes down to personal choice". So not true.

The absolute best for the health of a carnivore (dog) or obligate carnivore (cat) is a balanced, enzyme-rich raw meat diet, not up for discussion.

Next is a wet, grain-free, low starch food containing only human-grade ingredients.
Wet is superior than kibble for the health of your pet. Wet has low or no starch with a moisture content of 75% - 80%.

Last is kibble, same criteria as wet food.

I'd like to comment on ATD's remarks, The foods he mentioned are very bad, low quality and very bad for the health of a dog/cat.

European pet foods are almost non-regulated and "Shepard's Choice" is an example. Ingredients listed are:
Cereals, Meat & Animal Derivatives (min 4% Beef), oils and fats. There's no way AAFCO would let this labeling pass in the U.S. Wouldn't let my dogs or anyone else's near this stuff.

You mentioned "proplan". If its Purina Proplan, it's one of the worst foods that you can find. Ingredients: Beef, brewers rice, corn gluten meal, whole grain wheat, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), chicken meal, whole grain corn, dried beet pulp, fish meal, dried egg product, animal digest,

Ingredients in this "food" are dangerous at best. According to the FDA, animal fat and animal digest have a high probability to contain pentabarbitol, the euthanasia drug that resists the heat of rendering.

Do you know what's in animal digest? The manufacturers sure don't, that's why they give it a generic name and not a named animal source. Animal digest is a cooked-down, disgusting broth used for flavor rendered by chemical and/or enzymatic process.

Dried egg product is a pure waste product. Cheap source of protein, waste product of egg industry, can contain undeveloped and diseased eggs, floor sweepings, etc.

I can write pages on how bad brewers rice, corn gluten meal and whole grain wheat is to a carnivore.

Stay away from all Purina products. Their website says Purina believes in grains and the power of corn. Unbelievable.

BTW, Purina products were recalled by the FDA in 2007 for poisoning cats and dogs with melamine imported from China.
Funny they don't put that on their website. Good luck, Roger Biduk
I'm going to agree with you for the most part, but not totally. Some pet dogs don't do well on RAW at all. I've heard of dogs that are intolerant and have constant diarrhea with raw food.

I've also had and heard of dogs that completely dislike raw food and won't touch it. Is a food that a dog won't touch REALLY that good for it? Also, when not balanced properly, raw feeding can do so much more harm than good.

I AGREE with the article, when your dog is his healthiest, and doing his best.. then you have found your food. So it does come down to personal choice, as well as finances.

Not everyone who owns a pet can afford to feed EXTREMELY expensive diets. A grain free, holistic, natural human grade ingredient 100% canned diet for my dog would be impossible for me. He's going to be probably 80+ pounds. That's probably 6 cans a day at $2 per can. That's $12 per day. About $360 per month which is over $4000 a year!

A LOT of people cannot afford that! It's insane! I feed my dog the best food that I can afford that he eats well and seems to do well on. I think that's all a dog owner is obligated to do.
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2013, 10:00 PM
I give Rosie James Wellbeloved Duck and Rice flavoured, she is thriving on it, she has a good shiny coat and the vet says she is very healthy xx
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2