Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Spencey
New Member!
Male 

03-10-2011, 03:56 PM

A Suitable lead?

Hi Guys,

Myself and my wife took our 15 week old Malamute pup Tigh along to our local ringcraft class in Inverness yesterday. Everyone was very friendly and made us feel welcome even though Tigh decided to 'sing' to them frequently.

He did quite well at most things on our first run round (could do better at the free stand but it's something we've never taught him). The second go was a little different, he was a bit agitated and decided to take it out on me as we did our round. So after a little trouser biting, selective deafness(very much a mally trait) and forced sitting Lol we got round.

We all enjoyed the experience and seeing the other dogs it's made us want to do more. The people acting as judges suggested a slip or choke chain instead of the nylon lead and collar that we've been using. They said that the metal might stop him biting the lead as much whilst also showing him off better.

We've been actively stopping him biting the lead while out walking and will continue this. I've been on the net trying to work out where to buy from and what to buy in terms of a suitable lead.

Can anyone offer advice that's been in our position?

Thanks in advance
Dave & Nicola
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 04:17 PM
For showing I would have a look at what others in the same breed use.

I am not a lover of metal collars or leads but if he is still biting you don't want an expensive leather one to practise.

I use a half check collar. That is one that is either leather or material to the size of the neck of the dog with a metal loop that gives the sensation of thightening with out choking. I will do a search and put up some links.

But I would definatly either go and watch a class at a show or speak to someone who is a regular shower of your breed.
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 04:20 PM
For showing a Mally most people will use a half check collar and lead (or all in one) or a check chain and nylon and leather lead ....

I would buy cheap half check and nylon lead and spray with bitter apple (hope you have a good memory if you are a nail biter!)

Don't feed him before ringcraft and take lots of super tasty treats

What is his KC name? Will look out for you in the ring as I am usually at the Mallies with mine or the extended family
Spencey
New Member!
Male 

03-10-2011, 04:20 PM
Cheers Lead,

There are other Mal owners at the class and they appeared to be using what looked like metal snake chain type slip leads? I'll ask at the next class but wanted to get Tigh the right lead so we could get practising asap.

Cheers
Dave & Nic
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Spencey
New Member!
Male 

03-10-2011, 04:26 PM
Hi Julie,

Thanks for the advice, we'll have a look for a cheap half check and do the bitter apple idea.

I never thought about not feeding him before the class but we'll try it for the next time.

Tigh is Malderstons Flash Gordon and seems to be coming on really well so far. We're new to showing so will be taking it slow but we'll see if he enjoys it.

Cheers
Dave & Nic
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 05:42 PM
The lady at the ringcraft where me and Leadstaffs go was always saying my lead was rubbish lol, its just a bog standard leather puppy one. I didnt want to pay loads for something she would grow out of very quickly but I found these on Ebay...some cheap all in ones with pretty colours

A might be small/flimsy for a mally though

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dragon-Lea...98816922981452
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 07:44 PM
You can get them stronger and its not for out in the street.
They are fine until they stop growing.

Its match night this wednesday
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
Its match night this wednesday
I know! In fact Ill send you a PM save clogging this thread up.
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2011, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by Spencey View Post
Tigh is Malderstons Flash Gordon and seems to be coming on really well so far. We're new to showing so will be taking it slow but we'll see if he enjoys it.
Oh cool

His Great Great Grandfather is a good friend of mine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >