Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2011, 05:12 PM

Which breeds should be stacked?

We went to a local dog show today in a nearby village that also had their carnival day (shame about the awful weather-not many people went )

Parker got 2 firsts (sounds good but one class he was the only entrant!) and so we were in the "Best-in-Show" line-up.

The other dogs were the following breeds-

Red Setter

Akita

Dobe

Whippet

Welsh Springer spaniel

My husband said Parker didn't look as good as the other dogs in the line up as he was the only one not stacked (when you hold the dog's head and tail) but I thought that Kerries were not a stacked breed? He was standing nicely on a loose lead wagging his tail.

Should all of the above breeds have been stacked? I wasn't sure about Whippets? (the Whippet won)

I think I have lost confidence as I watched my new grooming DVD today whilst trimming Parker and realised I had been trimming him incorrectly for the past 7 and a half years I was going by 2 A4 pages in a dog grooming book so it was much better doing it whilst watching and listening to the DVD and pausing it whilst trimming a bit.

It was a really nice show (apart from the weather-Parker hid under the table in the marquee as he didn't want to walk around the ring anymore! The judge said he was sensible) as there were rosettes and prizes to 4th place and also a goody bag from a local pet-shop so we have 2 new leads and a collar, lots of treats and a few squeaky toys. I shared some with my niece, who was at my Mum's house when we popped in after the show,for her little girl to give to her dog Archie.

I was really pleased with the judge's comments about Parker-that he was very muscley and fit condition (when I put his photo on the thread about dog's being the right weight some people said he was a bit fat!) and that his movement was absolutely straight when I walked him up and down and very good.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2011, 05:17 PM
Awe well done parker!

I'm sorry I have no idea re stacking xxx But did the Akita win Best in Show lol???
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2011, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
Awe well done parker!

I'm sorry I have no idea re stacking xxx But did the Akita win Best in Show lol???
No-but it took reserve best in show!
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2011, 05:19 PM
Yey! heehee xxx
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2011, 05:23 PM
I'm pretty sure they're all stacked breeds, I'm not sure about your own breed though. Might be worth looking on youtube, or even Crufts videos?

I think it's up to you tbh, I'm pretty sure Boxers were free stood until they stopped docking them and then suddenly they all seemed to be stacked? Golden Retrievers are often shown both ways!

I'd rather see a free stood dog any day of the week, I think it looks much nicer when done well. Have you practised in front of a mirror?
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2011, 05:32 PM
This vid seems to show them sort of stacked?
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2011, 05:39 PM
I have usually seen kerries stacked
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2011, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
I'm pretty sure they're all stacked breeds, I'm not sure about your own breed though. Might be worth looking on youtube, or even Crufts videos?

I think it's up to you tbh, I'm pretty sure Boxers were free stood until they stopped docking them and then suddenly they all seemed to be stacked? Golden Retrievers are often shown both ways!

I'd rather see a free stood dog any day of the week, I think it looks much nicer when done well. Have you practised in front of a mirror?
No I haven't thought of this. I think dogs look better free-standing myself too.

Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
This vid seems to show them sort of stacked?
Oh dear-got it wrong again

Originally Posted by Muddiwarx View Post
I have usually seen kerries stacked
I will have to tell hubbie he's right then!

To make matters worse, after trimming my dog the same as the one on the DVD I think he looks dreadful from the back end as he looks like he has a "baboon bum"

She says to shave the rear legs at the back and I think he looks awful. Good job dogs aren't embarrassed or self-conscious. When the little boy round the corner saw me with Parker wearing his hair bobble he said "Peter will be leaving home-he is so embarrassed about his bobble"!

He calls him "Peter" after "Peter Parker" AKA Spiderman!

If I see him when walking "Baboon-bum Peter" I will have to stand close behind the dog or I'll get another funny comment! I like how he looked when I was doing him myself from the book, rather than the dvd. Never mind-at least his hair will grow again (eventually). I'm doing Cherry tomorrow so shan't make the same mistake.
Freyja
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-07-2011, 07:21 PM
Whippets are stacked but you don't hold their tails they tuck it under their back legs like this

Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2011, 07:40 PM
Thanks Freyja.

I'm off to a terrier show next weekend but to be honest it's probably a waste of time as they only seem to recognise small working type terriers and the last terrier show I entered the judge said "Oh shouldn't you be at Crufts?"