Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-07-2011, 02:07 PM

Showing a HWV, what do I need to do?!

I have entered Sika in the local agricultural shows, she is in the "any other..." category of the dog show. I have never shown before and am really doing it for a bit of fun. What do I need to do to get her ready before hand as far as grooming etc goes? I really am clueless but fancied a go Any tips much appreciated!
susie fischer
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-07-2011, 03:14 PM
Hi - if the HWV stands for Hungarian Wirehaired Visla - then you need to do nothing. I wouldn't even bath him/her unless she/he was really dirty as their coats shoiuls not feel soft. Go for iot and enjoy it. Good luck!
susie fischer
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-07-2011, 03:18 PM
[QUOTE=susie fischer;2306666]Hi - if the HWV stands for Hungarian Wirehaired Visla - then you need to do nothing. I wouldn't even bath him/her unless she/he was really dirty as their coats should not feel soft. Go for it and enjoy it. Good luck!
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-07-2011, 03:30 PM
Thank you! I was guessing there wasn't too much she'd need done... excellent I was going to show her on her white (ish) rope slip lead, is that ok? I don't usually use that type of lead but thought it might be good for this purpose
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2011, 03:31 PM
I wouldn't bother bathing her either, it made no difference what so ever when I bathed Oscar. I would strip any straggly hairs away, but other than that they're shown naturally. Might be worth trimming her nails if it's needed, Oscar's grow like an old man's!

I would familiarise yourself with showing (stacking, where to stand and triangles etc) if you're a total novice as they'll usually expect a well behaved dog outside of puppy classes.

Make sure you get there in plenty of time so you can watch how your particular judge likes to move/stand the dogs as every single one is different! You'll more than likely be judged last as AVNSC gennerally is!

Other than that, enjoy.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2011, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by peedie View Post
Thank you! I was guessing there wasn't too much she'd need done... excellent I was going to show her on her white (ish) rope slip lead, is that ok? I don't usually use that type of lead but thought it might be good for this purpose
I would personally go with a darker colour to match the coat, that way it doesn't detract from the dogs shape and angulation. I used a brown leather show slip lead on Oscar and Isla.
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-07-2011, 05:27 PM
Thanks Rips I'll track down a darker lead. Very grateful for the advice!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2011, 05:50 PM
No problem. In return for my assistance I request pictures of the event!
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-07-2011, 06:13 PM
If I can persuade my husband to oblige, I will provide pictures as requested ha ha!
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2011, 09:21 PM
An obvious point, but one that beginners could miss, is to wear contrasting colour clothes to the colour of your dog so that the dog shows up against you and doesn't fade into you.

For example, I have a Kerry Blue which is a dark colour dog so I have a pastel pink pair of trousers that I keep for when I show him. If I wore dark grey trousers the judge might not be able to see him
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >