Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-12-2010, 08:36 AM

What a day/night (update @ post 1195)

We were at the emergency vets with Ollie in the early hours of this morning in Potters Bar Hertfordshire.

He had been fine yesterday when I woke up got his breakfast and took him for his walk. Within an hour he was finding it difficult to settle. He was on and off the sofa with me on the floor but couldn't seem to get comfortable.

By the afternoon he was asking to go to lie on the beds but he likes me to go with him so I did, he was on and off the beds between us and Michael's bed. I decided to give him some homeopathic ruta which seemed too help a little.

Just as we thought he might need a vet he perked up when Michael went downstairs to do some toast he smelt it so we left him. In the early hours he was panting and was so restless up the stairs down the stairs then eventually sitting on the top stair with his front legs on the next step down. I rang the emergency vet for advice.

I explained he is such a stressed dog at the vets and that he would need muzzling and possible sedation so she said that would be ok, but monitor him for a bit more and see if we could get him through till morning. I knew it wasn't bloat and she agreed it wasn't by the explanation I gave over the phone. Anyway when he got to the stage of sitting on the top stair the way he was we rang and took him in.

He was muzzled and had a thorough physical examination I had wondered if he had a urine infection as he was going out to do a wee a lot more than usual. She felt all round his tummy his penis his joints and said he was in good physical condition his heart was good and his pulse so yes it could be a possible infection from what I had said.

The options were leave him there to be sedated for bloods to rule out anything underlying that a physical examination would not show but due to his stress levels she wasn't sure if that was a good idea before ruling out the infection or give him an anti inflammatory injection with a bit of morphine to help take the edge off till this morning and get a wee sample take it too our vet and if it was an infection get anti biotics to treat it which she was not keen on doing till she knew that was definately the problem. We opted for the latter.

He has been a bit more settled but still not right. It came to me in the early hours (we did not get home till 3am) that I am now wondering if he has a sore chest or muscle from that JRT having a go at him on Sunday why do you never remember these things when you need too ?

He is sort of whimpering when he lays down or grunts I checked him over before we left the field that day and again when we got indoors but there was no blood so I guessed he was ok he has so much fur on his chest it would of been hard too puncture it. He is finding it difficult to lay down on his front for long and he cannot lay on his side when he rolls onto it he gets up straight away.

I will do the urine sample and snow permitting we will pop along to our vet with it and I will also mention the altercation on Sunday and ask if he he thinks thats a possibility and may be he will give him something too help ease it for him and see if that works. We have slept on and off downstairs on a mattress together he is sliding into and out of sleep as we speak but he is does look under the weather. So the injection is helping but has taken a while to work and won't last that long into the day. It was an 8 hour one.

I have shed some tears over him before we got to the vet imagining all sorts of things.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2010, 08:53 AM
Oh Lynn what a worry.
I hate it when they show symptoms of being very uncomfortable and poorly but you havn't a clue what is wrong and nor has the vet.
I don't suppose that JRT could has broken the skin even a little bit which has set off an infection?
I hope he picks up soon or its something easily treatable.
(((hugs))) to you and gentle (((hugs))) to Ollie.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2010, 09:01 AM
Poor boy.

Hope he is up to full strength soon
xxxxx
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2010, 09:02 AM
Oh Lynn, how awful for you all.

It seems there are such a lot of Dogsey critters in the wars at the moment.

Hope Ollie starts to feel better very soon hon.

Thinking of you all x0x0x
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-12-2010, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
Oh Lynn what a worry.
I hate it when they show symptoms of being very uncomfortable and poorly but you havn't a clue what is wrong and nor has the vet.
I don't suppose that JRT could has broken the skin even a little bit which has set off an infection?
I hope he picks up soon or its something easily treatable.
(((hugs))) to you and gentle (((hugs))) to Ollie.
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Poor boy.

Hope he is up to full strength soon
xxxxx
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Oh Lynn, how awful for you all.

It seems there are such a lot of Dogsey critters in the wars at the moment.

Hope Ollie starts to feel better very soon hon.

Thinking of you all x0x0x
Thanks so much all going to need some of those Dogsey vibes. He isn't any better. Refused his breakfast and sitting back at the top of the stairs.

We are going to see if he wants to go round the block slowly and then maybe eat a little something. We are going to have to take him to the vets we we cannot leave him like this. I have to try to get that sample but I have a feeling that is not the problem like I had first hoped.
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2010, 09:27 AM
Oh poor Ollie I hope he gets better soon.

Maybe shave his chest to get a better look at it?
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2010, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Thanks so much all going to need some of those Dogsey vibes. He isn't any better. Refused his breakfast and sitting back at the top of the stairs.

We are going to see if he wants to go round the block slowly and then maybe eat a little something. We are going to have to take him to the vets we we cannot leave him like this. I have to try to get that sample but I have a feeling that is not the problem like I had first hoped.
Poor lad....... thinking of you all. Keep us posted please Lynn xxxx
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2010, 09:51 AM
So sorry to read this Lynn...I know exactly how you feel when your darling boy isn't right.

I can imagine all the things that were going through your head, thank goodness you could get him to the vet and have him checked over, I know you still don't really know whats wrong but at least they gave him a bit of a going over so, hopefully, it isn't going to be anything awful.

Sending you loys of cyber hugs and hope he feels better soon xxx
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2010, 09:56 AM
Lynn, Healing thought and vibes sent from us to Ollie , I hope he is back to his usual self soon xxxx
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-12-2010, 10:07 AM
Thanks again for all the good wishes. We have a vets appointment at 10 past 11. Can't see they will need to do another physical examination but maybe they will sedate him and take bloods.

His back legs were very wobbly this morning. But he has been round the block no wee though typical. Plenty of pooh

Will update when I get back.
Page 1 of 123 1 2 3 4 11 51 101 > Last »