Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vodkalass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-11-2010, 03:12 PM

He's got raw dry itchy skin

My youngest lab (about 2 years old) ive had since april.
When we got him he had scabby ears and the vet treated him for ear mites and his ears did improve slightly but the hair never actually completely covered them and hes always been quite itchy in general. Hes had all his flea treatments he takes cod liver oil has oily fish with his food.And dispite another trip to the vet steriod injections and special shampoo hes actually looking worse. his neck and shoulders were red raw this morning and there was a pile off hair that hed scratched off. I cant put his rope lead on or his harness as it hurts too much the gentle leader is my only option at the moment and he hates it. I am taking him to the vets tonight but please has anyone got any advice?
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 03:55 PM
You could perhaps try an exclusion diet to see if its a food allergy. An exclusion diet is one where you feed as little components as possible, and preferably something he's not eaten before. E.g. if he's on a lamb & rice food, you could try cooked chicken and cooked, plain potato. If he's on a chicken diet then you can switch the chicken for fish. You can use rice instead of potato but lots of pet foods contain rice and it can be a common cause of allergies/intolerances.
It's not a long-term diet and I would recommend asking your vet but it won't harm a healthy dog to go on it short-term. The idea is that if the symptoms clear up, you introduce different components of the diet once by one, e.g. if you've fed fish & potato, try adding chicken, then rice, then a complete food with relatively little ingredients, and if the symptoms flare up again you know that the last thing you introduced is a problem.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 04:31 PM
If he were mine, I'd ask for allergy tests to be done. Has your vet ever suggested allergy testing?
Vodkalass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-11-2010, 04:36 PM
No they took some scrappings from his skin to check for mites but found nothing. I havent changed is food as he was already on what mine are. Can they be allergic to there collars etc? Its mostly in that area of his collar and harness i cant decide if they just rub and make him itch there if they cause it or if its just a good place to scrat with his back legs.
dogmad76
New Member!
Female 

10-11-2011, 10:21 AM
Sounds like Atopic dermatitis. Would have some allergy tests done
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 10:45 AM
id say get some allergy testing done too. how did you get on at the vets?
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 10:50 AM
I'm having the exact same problem with my staffie Coco. I've now started an exclusion diet and I've started by excluding all cereals. She managed to find and eat fat balls for birds 4 days ago and had a flare up and her skin was bleeding. Her feet were awful too. Their full of seeds so I thought it would be a good place to start.
Today, her feet and skin are pink instead of red, she's not itching and looks altogether more comfortable. It's early days yet but I'm hoping this is the cause as it's easy to remedy. I also use Dermacton soap and cream for the itch.
I also started her on Bionic Biotics 2 months ago and her fur is starting to grow back. BB's do have small amounts of corn in it though but as it's helpin her fur I've kept her on a small amount of it per day and she's getting better.
I feed her Butchers Tripe tins now....with no cereals in including rice. It does sound like your baby has an allergy. I think it's definitely worth trying an exclusion diet. Grain and cereal free would be good place to start.
It could be something else but try excluding things one at a time and see if anything happens.
You could try allergy tests at the vet. They're not always conclusive though. That's why I decided to try things myself. Also long term steroids and antibiotics are not good in my view, but if nothing else works then I guess you have no choice.
Good luck with it all...I know how blooming frustrating it is!!
PS Try pure salmon oil...make sure it has no flaxseed or linseed as these too can cause problems with allergies.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 10:56 AM
This thread is a year old.............
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 11:08 AM
Haha!! Oops!! Thanks for pointing this out!!!
dogmad76
New Member!
Female 

10-11-2011, 11:19 AM
might be a year old but we all seem to be having the same issues and people are still commenting so lets keep going.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >