Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-04-2010, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by Wearywolf View Post
I never said they were completely hairless, note that I stated they have the hair on the feet, face and tail! I merely stated that the odd hair may grow on the body and this might be shaved off!

thats what I was referring too, they body is covered with a downy hair, some will have more than others, but if you left it for a few days you would see more than the odd hair.. think babies and that soft downy hair, that is what you will se eon a CC... the furnishings on the head/shoulder /feet and tail are not taken into account regards hairless

The Powderpuff look amazing!

and yes they will be more inclined to skin complaints as there is no major hair coverage for the dogsbody to protect the skin!

they suffer skin problems because the hair follicles get blocked, and as such they get acne... and boils, this is what needs to be maintained with a skin regime to keep them free from such spots.

and it is true that they do not have the right chemical makeup as other dogs would to grow the hair, I got that first hand off a very reputable vet, and I have also read into it, via veterinary text books! So I will ignore your comment! We are all entitled to our opinnions and as this is a forum Im just passing on what I know, im not here to be told wether one word I have said on here is wrong! But I certainly wouldnt use waxing products on a dog, hell no way!
That's fine, if your vet says so then it must be true, personally I am just giving personal experience of the breed and they breeders, as to how and what they do to keep their dogs in tip top condition, and what they do on a daily basis.

P.s , the hairless gene is a mutation that some of the breed will have . not all will have this mutation such as the powder puff, they are free from the mutation, there is no order to what will or wont have the hairless gene. you can get both types from the same litter, two hairless can produce PP in the litter and vise verse. as more and more furnishings are required on the dogs, the true hairless is short on the ground, as selective breeding (for furnishings) has produced more hair follicles on these dogs, hence the downy hair on the body.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2010, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by Wearywolf View Post
Hi

The shaving of a dogs whiskers is mandatory for dogs that are being shown, its part of the breed standard set by the kennel club.

Chinese crested dogs come in two types with hair or hairless. The fully haired dog has become more common in the show ring, whilst the hairless version (the dogs still have a little bit of hair around the face, feet and tail.

with regards to shaving etc, this might be used for the odd hair, the chinese crested's do not have the hair follicles to produce the hair, therefore on the large part of the body this will remain hairless, the odd hair will of course be trimmed up and shaved just like any other breed for showing or as a pet cut, but no other dogs would be cut that short!

The waxing, and mens shaving foam ive never heard of before and I am a groomer.

Id assume if that the shaving foam is used, its probably to protect the skin, however I wouldnt be inclined to use a human product on a dog, as the ph balance of the skin from human to dog is different!

It might be worth looking for a chinese crested breeder and ask them for a more definative answer.

Hope this helps.
Can you please show me where it states this in ANY breed standard.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2010, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
whataflipping joke, you arent allowed to use chalk or haispray but you can wax your dog/. Give me a break.
You actually shouldnt do anything to the dog that alters its natural colour or coat texture. All chalking etc.. should be dont at home not at shows, needs clamping down on IMO.
Wearywolf
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-04-2010, 08:52 PM
Sorry it was meant to read NOT compulsory, ive got dyslexic fingers lol.

Although in breeds like the poodle, they would be expected to be shaved off.

Cairns, and the norfolk terriers the whiskers would be cut to match the facial hair - for show only!

I personally do not like shaving dogs whiskers for the breeds that do need to be shaved around the face, as they really do need these.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

11-04-2010, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
You actually shouldnt do anything to the dog that alters its natural colour or coat texture. All chalking etc.. should be dont at home not at shows, needs clamping down on IMO.
I agree , all preparation should be done at home
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2010, 08:57 PM
whataflipping joke, you arent allowed to use chalk or haispray but you can wax your dog/. Give me a break.
Took the words outta my mouth!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2010, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I agree , all preparation should be done at home
I get sick of being plastered in chalk walking past the Bull Terrier ring!
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2010, 09:54 PM
we have the same with the Pyrenean Mountain dogs!!!!!
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2010, 06:03 AM
Ok then that there should be no Residue left in coat?

To me that means Coat should be as it is. so waxing a dog so it can compete/win is disgusting
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

12-04-2010, 08:16 AM
Ok then that there should be no Residue left in coat?

To me that means Coat should be as it is. so waxing a dog so it can compete/win is disgusting
I think you need to take the waxing with a pinch of a salt, can you really imagine any dog standing still for that I think the waxing has been added for effect.

Shaving and creaming are another matter , it is done, in the preparation of a dog for the ring...just as many breeds are groomed for the ring, the poodle clip, the stripping of coats, the endless grooming , so on and so on.

But all the preparations should be done at home, and only a light grooming done at the ringside.
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 31 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »