Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ssmith
New Member!
Male 

14-12-2017, 04:15 AM

Dog had FCE now can't urinate

Hi all,
Looking for help or similar occurrences. 6 days ago my 4 year old 125 lb Bernese Mt dog lost his use of his hind legs. He is currently at UC Davis he had an Mri and pretty sure it was an FCE stroke of spinal cord. He has partial use of his left rear right is still pretty much not having any feeling. He has been on a catheter since he can not urinate on his own. We were going to try to take him home today but he will not react to expressing his bladder so he had to go back on catheter. I am wondering if anyone has experienced this if so I am very sorry because it is so sad. They are giving him another week to urinate either manually or on his own before they give up. We are not ready to and I'm hoping maybe someone has gone through this. I know it takes time to recover main concern right now is his urinary problems. Thanks in advance
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2017, 07:14 AM
Im sorry to have to say this but you need to put aside your wants and needs and think of your dog. He will be suffering dreadfully and you should let him go peacefully. It is so hard I know but if you love him you will find the strength to help him. Best of luck ... I am so sorry xx gnasher
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2017, 01:07 PM
I agree with Gnasher, time to say your Goodbyes to an old friend, he doesn't want to suffer longer. Put your dog before yourself.
ssmith
New Member!
Male 

14-12-2017, 04:42 PM
He in no way is suffering right now it is totally painless. He is extremely happy right now Dogs make recoveries from this it take time and rehab. I am simply trying to see if anyone else has had the same problem with the urination. He has feeling back there. I have read elsewhere that it could take up to 3 weeks before he can urinate on his own. If there was any kind of suffering or no hope this post would never had been started. Just want to get him home and see if that helps.