Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
amykf3
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-08-2007, 11:28 AM

Dog fouling

A thought just occured to me - on the dog fouling signs it states that there is a fine if cought fouling. Who actually catches them to fine them? Can you as a citizen demand that they clear it up, if they dont - demand their name and address (which they could give a false one) and let who know?
I'm currently researching where in my town there are dog bins and have not found one even in fields where kids play , therefore will be writing to the council suggesting that they install some.
Just wondered about the actual legal side of dog fouling.
Can anyone help?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2007, 11:43 AM
It's all down to the local council, but like you say, I've never seen anybody going round following dog walkers to make sure they stick to it. I'd be inclined to get the camera out, especially a camcorder and get some evidence. I wish I could catch some of the morons in my village who leave it on the grass verge or up a lovely big wide footpath in our village. It's driving me nuts everytime I walk my dog up there, and I might just get on the case here, it's absolutely disgusting. Like you say, there aren't enough dogbins around. We only have one each end of our village green, but nothing anywhere else in the whole village!!! Why??? I might phone the council about that too!

Dons Meldrew cap and coat!!!
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2007, 12:02 PM
The dog wardens here go out occasionally to catch people in the act. They stop people, check that their dog is licenced and ask if they pick up after their dog.

I've had need to phone them in the past about two dogs that are repeatedly let out to wander around here, upsetting a guide dog I had out walking and dodging cars to boot. They asked me if I had seen the dog fouling, which I had, in another neighbours garden as well as the path. I assume they'd use this as evidence to fine the owner? The dogs stayed in for about a month after that. Now there is only one of them and it's out wandering again.

But still, not enough is done to sort it out, I'm fed up treading in the stuff and having to wash it off my kids shoes. Surely any normal person can't think it's fine to leave sh!t lying around where people walk!?! Comes back to responsible ownership again, doesn't it?
andyb
New Member!
Male 

21-08-2007, 05:52 PM
I've just come back from our first walk around the main park in the city. Again loads of signs but not many bins, but on the positive side only a few droppings left lying around and lots of dogs being walked with owners clearing up after them.
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-08-2007, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by amykf3 View Post
A thought just occured to me - on the dog fouling signs it states that there is a fine if cought fouling. Who actually catches them to fine them? Can you as a citizen demand that they clear it up, if they dont - demand their name and address (which they could give a false one) and let who know?
I'm currently researching where in my town there are dog bins and have not found one even in fields where kids play , therefore will be writing to the council suggesting that they install some.
Just wondered about the actual legal side of dog fouling.
Can anyone help?
I have seen a dog warden twice here...says it all really!
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-08-2007, 06:19 PM
You cannot demand someones name and address because of privacy laws,but you can photograph or film them not clearing up after their dog then pass this onto the dog warden.

However,i dont think any council takes dog mess seriously cause im not aware of roving wardens handing out tickets.The only case brought before a magistarte im aware is of a pensioner who continually refused to clear up even after being filmed and taken to court 3 seperate times resulted in him being let off cause he pleaded poverty.

I think most councils anwser to dog mess is to ban them off lead from open spaces.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2007, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by tinkladyv View Post
I have seen a dog warden twice here...says it all really!
That's twice more than I have & I've lived here & bred dogs here for over 50 years
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2007, 01:12 PM
I've lived in my house for a year and never once seen any sort of dog warden...
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2007, 01:18 PM
Never seen a dog warden, ever, signs are always high up and barely visible Diesel would never be able to read them without his glasses on