View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2007, 01:36 PM
I can walk 3 miles in a morning with Max, and there is 1 poo bin. I usually have to carry the bag all the way into the village with me.

I'd like to see a council official give me a fine, when there are no facilities (actually, I'd like to see a dog warden in the area....). Do they carry 3 bags of poo around for 45 minutes?
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2007, 01:48 PM
I have to say to those who dont pick up in the woodlands, we often walk in the woods with the dogs & kids, my son recently went on a woodland trek with his class & the teacher sent home a note with every child pointing out that they came across lots of dog poo inconsiderately left by people who think that no-one will come across it ! or cant be bothered to carry it for some distance ....................wrong, wrong, wrong

I've carried poo for miles and here's the proof

Not a great picc but some of us (at the back) were holding up our poo

You wanted a dog, Your dog, Your responsibility, PICK IT UP !!!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-07-2007, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
mostly yes....but the woods? nah...just kick it into a bush or bury it with yer boot.

fields beach paths etc....absolutely
I completely agree that people should clear up in 'public places' eg frequented footpaths, but oh how I hate to see plastic bags of dog poo in the fields/streams and hanging from trees who do people think will collect these bags which are also a hazard to livestock .

If I am picking my way through a minefield of cow pats is a small dog poo going to make any difference. I have used the 'boot method' also large leaves or grass to move the offending object into a bush which is far more environmentally friendly than a plastic bag.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2007, 04:19 PM
If my girls poops it , then i scoops it after all there are responsibility , untill the day arrives when they do it them selves that is :lol xxdk :
Azz
Administrator
Male 

09-07-2007, 04:21 PM
I agree with what Mini and a few others have said - when your walking through an area with cow/sheep poo everywhere what's the point. Should farmers start cleaning up after their stock too? :smt044

With regards to paths and anywhere that people walk - yes pick it up. Parks, yes pick it up. Fields and mountain walks, other walks - so long as he does it off the main walking path I don't pick it up. Insects will get rid of it in a more eco friendly way!
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2007, 04:33 PM
When my crew deposit in any place where someone else may tread in it, no matter how remote an area, I pick it up. I figure on that score that just because its remote it does`nt mean no one else ever walks there.

If a deposit is somewhere I can`t physically reach then its unlikely to be trodden in by others anyway in which case I`ll leave it, [ which I would have to do anyway if its unreachable of course ].

It does`nt matter to me if horses or cattle deposits are everywhere, I would`nt like the thought of my dogs poops tainting the grass those animals eat but thats just how I think about it
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-07-2007, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by Kanikula View Post
There is no excuse for not picking up dog mess!
Even when you're disabled, and can't pick it up? I was a rigorous poop-picker-upper till I lost my legs - now, it's physically impossible.

Perhaps I should just dispose of my dogs.

Snorri
Kanikula
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2007, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by Snorri the Priest View Post
Even when you're disabled, and can't pick it up? I was a rigorous poop-picker-upper till I lost my legs - now, it's physically impossible.

Snorri
ok maybe one then :smt002
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2007, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by Snorri the Priest View Post

Snorri
There's two ladies that show their dogs locally to me that are both in electric wheelchairs. There's also a lady who showed her dog at Crufts this year in an electric wheelchair. Yes they all show their dogs themselves and they all have extended poop scoopers, so it's NOT impossible.

Are you saying that you leave your dogs poo in public or in the street ???
Azz
Administrator
Male 

09-07-2007, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by Patch
When my crew deposit in any place where someone else may tread in it, no matter how remote an area, I pick it up. I figure on that score that just because its remote it does`nt mean no one else ever walks there.

If a deposit is somewhere I can`t physically reach then its unlikely to be trodden in by others anyway in which case I`ll leave it, [ which I would have to do anyway if its unreachable of course ].

It does`nt matter to me if horses or cattle deposits are everywhere, I would`nt like the thought of my dogs poops tainting the grass those animals eat but thats just how I think about it
lol don't tell me they eat their own poo then? I know Rocky's not fussed where it comes from

I've trained Rocky to poo off the paths, and on areas where I'm quite certain people won't walk or have no reason to (eg if they don't lead anywhere).

If the council ever did approach me about it then I would say they can't have their cake and eat it, and should make those areas 'safe' to walk too. Otherwise they are liable for anyone walking on them who may fall and hurt themselves. Many of the walks around here that are out of the way and frequently used by dog owners are _not_ that safe, or rather, could be made safer by fencing on the steep side of the path. It would cost them a lot of money sorting that out, and to be honest, if you crouch down on a steep path to pick up poo you are far more likely to fall (although not a problem for me as Rocky doesn't do it on the paths anyway).

Maybe it's slightly different around here as there are lots and lots of different paths and routes people can walk - perk of living in Wales

Although I will add that if we go to a national heritage park or a place that is specifically intended for members of the general public to come visit from all over then yes I would pick up his poo wherever he did it. It's only the local or more neglected, less busier areas I am referring to above.
Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »