Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2011, 01:58 PM

Sloe gin

Right I have got two and half pound of sloes, one bottle gin and one bottle whiskey..... now what do I do?????

Can I use plastic bottles or does it have to be glass??

Hoping to have it ready for christmas
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-09-2011, 04:40 PM
I used a glass bottle last year, not sure about plastic, I'm sure it'd be ok? I filled 1/4 of the bottle of sloes, 1/4 sugar then filled up with gin, shook every day for a week or until the sugar dissolved then left for a few months. If I made it again I'd use less sugar though as it was very sweet and syrupy! If you are using fresh sloes you need to prick each one with a pin to release the flavour.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

17-09-2011, 06:33 PM
Karen is having a go at this - we've also just picked a big vatch of elderberries.

I thought they needed to picked after the first frost as the bitterness turns sweet but bt all accounts you can do that in the freezer.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2011, 06:21 AM
http://www.sloe.biz/
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2011, 06:24 AM
Sloe gin ~ lovely stuff I've made it for the last 3 or 4 years but I make it by the demi-john as a bottle wouldn't last 5 mins in my house!

Last year we thought we'd found some huge sloes until some kindly passer-by pointed out that we'd been picking damsons And we hadn't even noticed the completely different leaves. But the mixture of sloes & damsons produced the best tasting "sloe" gin ever so I'm doing the same this year.

I started mine yesterday to be ready for bottling before Xmas & given as presents. I picked the sloes & damsons several weeks ago & put them in the freezer. When they defrost the skins burst which saves having to prick each berry with a pin ~ life's too short!! I half fill the demi-john with sloes/damsons, add about 1lb of sugar then top up with gin. I'm doing 2 demi-johns of gin & 1 of brandy this year. I shake the demi-johns every day for a week, then probably every few days, or when I remember after that. I'll taste it in a month or so too see if needs more sugar.

Mid-december is bottling time. I strain through a fine sieve, then let it drain through coffee filter papers. It takes a bit of time but worth it as the result is sparkling clear dark pink gin.

Personally I love sloe gin icy cold from the fridge in a shot glass, but it's also good mixed with tonic, lemonade, whatever you fancy.

Enjoy!
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2011, 06:44 PM
Thanks so much for the heads up.....

but......

The sloes have had to go in the freezer..... due to lack of gin.........

Will try again this coming weekend
b-eye
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-09-2011, 06:19 PM
ive got damson on the go but cant get sloes for luv nor money lol xxx
b-eye
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-09-2011, 11:56 AM
Yahoo a very dear friend brought me a large bag of sloes last night,, so i now have damson and sloe gin on the go and trying sloe vodka this year ,, yummy
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2011, 09:41 PM
Well got the sloe gin and sloe whiskey done and in the cupboard!!!
Am off looking for more and going to try sloe vodka.....and might even do a very sloe brandy

Thanks for the help xxx
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

29-09-2011, 09:45 PM
Rasberry Vodka, Elderberry Vodka & Summer Berry Vodka (bramble, elderberry and rasberry) all made and bottled tonight !
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >