Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2011, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by dizzi View Post
When we get hound number 2 they do a tag where they have the rescue phone number on one side and recommend (quite strongly) just our phone number on the other side.

Really, a rescue centre recommending that you break the law?

!

I don't like having the dog's actual name on a tag - I'm not making it easy if someone tries to dognap them (although Layton will in general answer to anything going if there's food on the other end of it for him)

Exactly to read your dog's tag the "thief" will either have the eyesight of Superman or will already have your dog therefore the existence of its name is immaterial.

Friendly dogs will go off with anyone whether they know your dog's name or not, other dogs will not despite you knowing their name, DoB, what their favourite snack is etc!

I do not put my dog's name on their tags for one reason only, I can reuse them indefinitely (unless I move) for each subsequent dog.

The two tags my dogs wear now belonged to my two previous dogs and date back to 1996!

Stingy or what!
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2011, 06:45 PM
Poppy & Kiara have just one tag with house number, postcode and my mobile number on one side and I'm chipped & spayed' on the other side.
Bailey has the same obviously changed spayed to neutered but has an extra tag with 'I'm Blind' written on it.

I don't like putting their names on them - just in case I put the spade/neutered on it after a spate of bitches being stolen then literally raped locally a few years ago.
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-06-2011, 08:26 PM
Yep SB - I have the "what your dog comes with" guide here now: "No address or dog's name to be put on the tag for security reasons"

I don't put the dog's name on (ran out of space even with the stupid amount of information I've got on my tag) but I'd always personally put at least house number and postcode on - heck I'd put a Google map on if it meant more chance of the dog making it back to me in one piece to be honest.

Security? Hmm... now I know I've managed to drop the house and car keys down a rabbit hole while walking the dog before - but still not sure my dog's ID tag walking around with me desperately trying to find the keys (took 3 hours) would help someone rob my house out!

Most people round here know my dog's name - cos he stands out so much in the endless fields of labradors and collies!
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2011, 08:28 PM
My tags have:

My surname
Street address
Postcode
Mobile number
"Microchipped"
"Neutered"
"Vets" and their phone number.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2011, 08:31 PM
Yep SB - I have the "what your dog comes with" guide here now: "No address or dog's name to be put on the tag for security reasons"

I don't put the dog's name on (ran out of space even with the stupid amount of information I've got on my tag) but I'd always personally put at least house number and postcode on - heck I'd put a Google map on if it meant more chance of the dog making it back to me in one piece to be honest.

Security? Hmm... now I know I've managed to drop the house and car keys down a rabbit hole while walking the dog before - but still not sure my dog's ID tag walking around with me desperately trying to find the keys (took 3 hours) would help someone rob my house out!

Most people round here know my dog's name - cos he stands out so much in the endless fields of labradors and collies!

Words fail me..........................
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2011, 08:38 PM
I've recently ordered two new tags for Dexter.

One is a brass tag with:
- my mobile number
- my landline
And on the other side:
- my full address incl post code

The second tag is a black bone with on one side 'I'm chipped & neutered'.
Other side: my landline and mobile numbers.

My own name is not on them, nor my dog's name. I realise that the absence of the former means the tags won't be legally compliant so may have to rethink, but if and when they arrive I will be using these two tags for the present.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2011, 08:44 PM
No wonder so many people turn up to KCGCDS tests without the correct tags...........................
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-06-2011, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
No wonder so many people turn up to KCGCDS tests without the correct tags...........................
I think part of the reason is that technology's overtaken the law slightly - with microchipping becoming much more common, and mobile phones meaning people are eternally attached to their electronic ball and chain - people assume (rightly or wrongly) that that's enough to get their dog back to them in the event of it needing to be done.

Yep it's not legally compliant but I hardly ever see pet tag engraving places listing the stuff that you're legally required to have on there - they instead always have pretty little love hearts with "Fluffykins" and a mobile number on - and I think people take their lead from that kind of displays and follow suit.

As I said - mine have our surname on (thankfully my married one fits the number of letters allowed cos my maiden name sure as heck wouldn't!), and we've got spare tags kicking around here that have the same information on in the event any get lost or come off.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2011, 09:12 PM
Yep it's not legally compliant but I hardly ever see pet tag engraving places listing the stuff that you're legally required to have on there - they instead always have pretty little love hearts with "Fluffykins" and a mobile number on - and I think people take their lead from that kind of displays and follow suit.

Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2011, 09:30 PM
I'm a good girl and all mine are legal

They all have my surname, full address and mobile no. Rogue also has 'chipped and spayed' on her's. If Rio or Dan were to get out though, nobody would be able to lay a hand on them to read their tags.

I am tempted to have the dogs DNA profiled too though. It's a bit of extra security and cheap too.
Page 7 of 13 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »