Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-04-2005, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by Jenny
hi carole, yeh i put it in with her nature diet and she ate round it. it could be a matter of keep putting it down til she eats it.
have asked for samples of csj as well to see if she likes that
I can't remember what you said she was fed on before Jen (sorry ) but could it be she's not used to eating kibble? She'll get there

Please remember, she's only been with you a really tiny amount of time - she's still finding her feet and for some dogs it can seem like ages before they settle. As I've said to you before, she needs ground-rules and consistency, but she also needs plenty of time to explore, learn about your family and where she fits into it, and to find her confidence. She's just at that age where she's not so young she needs you at all times and therefore bonds quite quickly, but she's also not a reasonably self-reliant, confident adult. Rotties mentally mature much, much slower than the smaller breeds - some males won't fully mentally mature until they're 3-4 years old! - she might not be clinging to your every movement like an 8 week old pup, but she's still just a baby.

She might benefit greatly from a really structured routine - try to get up, feed her, let her out, walk her, play with her, at the same times and for the same duration each day. Pick a feed and stick to it for a while, whatever it is. Unless there's something medically wrong, she won't starve herself and will eat eventually. Leave her to settle on a feed, don't chop and change. And don't pander to her too much - some dogs work out they can get something even nicer if they leave dinner a couple of times. This is exactly the age they start working things like this out and push boundaries, so be prepared for this once she starts settling.

It might take weeks or even months before she seems properly settled - there's no rush; if she lives to an average age, you should have her in your life for another 8-10 years, maybe more. If it takes her a couple of months to find her feet and show you her 'true self' so be it. For the moment, you're not seeing the true Sash, so don't worry if she seems picky over her food, changes in personality and playfulness etc.

I don't mean to lecture, sorry if it seems that way I just know what rotties are like and you know I wanna help any way I can. You know where I am if you need advice.

Becs
Footybird11
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-04-2005, 08:36 PM
Hey I had food probs with my husky pup, ok its classed by some as a medium breed but I feed her on Burns Canine Extra. How old is Sash? as I was told that this is for growing big breeds, which means 6-10/12 months I believe, although my Kodi is only 5 months.
tjhoe68
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2005, 05:47 PM
We feed Barney on James wellbeloved too. It's good for him as other foods were not agreeing with him. I have heard that Burns is very good though but no-one sells it round here so we'd have to pay extra for it. Barney is very happy on JWB anyway so I'm not gonna change him now. He's on the Junior 1 at the moment.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3