View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-04-2005, 02:37 PM
His morning meal isnt dry because i have to make a cup of gravy to mix in his food as i have to give him 'Metacam' liquid and tablets for his underactive thyroid-perhaps its the gravy which is doing it??? He always manages to find the tablets when put inside a piece of cheese etc and spits the damn things out! Tried injecting the metacam directly into his mouth,but trying to hang onto a 56kg Rottie is not an easy thing to do when they dont like the flavour!

The JWB is a lot drier than im used to feeding him and literally crunches in his mouth-sending bits everywhere.Also,he's gotten into the habit now of taking a mouthful of food,walking to wherever i am,dumping it onto floor and eating it from there.What a mess he creates...
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2005, 04:07 PM
i have to give bruno metacam aswell for his athritis - i just have the liquid form which stinks but I just scoosh it into his food and he doesnt seem to bother - the only time he wont have it is I try and mix it with mackerel - it obviously doesnt react nicely with the food as he wont touch it if I do that.,.

dani
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2005, 08:17 AM
Hi,

When I got my rottie, Murphy, his stomach was sooo sensitive, I tried everything, Autarky, JWB, Burns and nothing seemed to stop him getting the runs. I was advised to speak to a lady called Ceri at CSJ which I did and she was fantastic. Murphy is now on CSJ Champ (£6.99 for a 15kg sack ), its not wheat gluten free or anything but its still good stuff and not too much waste comes out the other end too, compared to some of the other brands I was trying him on I've also switched my GSD onto it and shes a fussy blighter when it comes to food. Ceri will send you a sample - she sent me a whole 15kg sack free !!

Heres the link to the CSJ Champ adult food page - you'll see the testimonal about Murphy (& piccie) that I sent in there too

http://www.csjk9.com/champ/index.html

Good luck
Steph
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2005, 12:05 PM
Hi Stephanie, have you got that price right??? £6.99 for a 15 kg. sack?Wow! I am paying £38.00 for a 15 kg. bag of Wafcol Salmon and Potato dried food?? I can't believe that price you have put there?I have to feed what I do because the vet has told me it is the only food for my rescue with his skin probs. and Cassie has to have a sensitivity control food as she has had pancreatic enzyme deficiency in the past,but it seems very very expensive after seeing your price for the CSJ Champ?
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2005, 12:44 PM
Aww Steve...he sounds as messy with his food as Keena is with her drinking, she takes a drink and all is fine till the last mouthfull which she doesn't swallow but walks around the kitchen dribbling it back out all over the place...lol...I have to get a an old towel and wipe the floor after every drink she has...lol

Keena is exactly the same with taking tablets too the little s***. But what I have found works suprisingly (sp?) well is putting one tablet in the middle of a peice of that waffer thin ham stuff for sandwiches and the folding all the ham around the tablet like a little parcel and dropping it into her mouth...For some reason, unlike if I disguise the tablet in cheese or something, she doesn't mess about trying to separate the two and just swallows it whole and hasn't noticed what I am doing just yet...lol...It is the only way that has worked.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2005, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by myschievous
But what I have found works suprisingly (sp?) well is putting one tablet in the middle of a peice of that waffer thin ham stuff for sandwiches and the folding all the ham around the tablet like a little parcel and dropping it into her mouth...
Thats one method I use!
I also coat the tablet quite thickly in something like butter/cheese spread, and she gobbles it down!

Or something I learnt at college, is to drop the tablet in the mouth, close the mouth, and gently blow down the nose. It causes the dog to swallow.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-04-2005, 05:29 PM
Unfortunately i absolutely hate ham and it is banned from this house!

He's a sneaky b***** who will spit the things out when your not looking.Havent a clue how he finds the things in his mouth as the cheese etc used to wrap them dont really touch the sides going down. I think i'll give the champ food a go once the JWB has been used up.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2005, 05:55 PM
Hi Steve, what about trying Primula soft cheese? That way if you stick it in the middle of a lump of soft cheese which is yummy, it should all slide down nicely? That's what I use, or liver pate, something really soft anyway.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-04-2005, 05:55 PM
I usually wrap tablets up in cheese for Star and make her sit and make it a game of catch. That way she does not get a chance to sniff out the tablet.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-04-2005, 07:34 PM
mmmmmm-Primula soft cheese-lovleyyyyyyy...

Good idea Helena,but he would have to fight me for it!

On a slightly different note,since Abe has been on the JWB (9 days)-his shedding has quite noticably decreased.He'e never been what you would call a hairy dog anyway and hair loss isnt anything for me to loose sleep over with hoovering,but there is a noticable difference.Sadly,his poo is still the same...
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >