Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-04-2005, 06:23 PM

Dog food,but a yucky subject...

I was recomended by several Rottie owners/breeders to feed Abe 'James Well Beloved' dog food (dry),but have noticed his stools are much bigger and a little more wetter than normal since switching brands.I have for years previously fed him on either Eukanuba or Proplan which makes his stools quite firm and small.I ordered a sample of Burns,but he was reluctant in eating this so cannot risk buying a sack of it.

Any ideas as to why???
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-04-2005, 07:46 PM
Star was the same when she was fed JWB. I changed her onto Burns and it improved.
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-04-2005, 10:30 PM
Satch (rottie) was like this when I changed from Purina Pro Plan to Autarky to see if he did well or better on it. I've since changed back to Purina and within a matter of days of being on a solely Purina diet, his stools are back to being firm.

Becs
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2005, 10:41 PM
It's a bit ironic that JWB is hypoallergenic and for sensitive tummies...Yet it had the same effect with my dog...Plus I noticed I had to feed her almost twice the amount of most other foods which I didn't understand because it is suppossed to be a really good brand.

My two also had really bad liquid poop on Autarky even though I did introduce it slowley over 7 days...That was a shame because I believe that to be a good food and a really good price but it didn't agree with mine.

They are on Nutro Large Breed now and arn't to bad. I would like to try Eagle Pack but it is very expensive.
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-04-2005, 10:47 PM
Originally Posted by myschievous
My two also had really bad liquid poop on Autarky even though I did introduce it slowley over 7 days...That was a shame because I believe that to be a good food and a really good price but it didn't agree with mine.
Me too. Introduced slowly, but both dogs had a little bit of a funny tummy on it. And, like you, I was very keen to try them on it. I'm glad it works for a lot of people though as it does seem such a good quality food. The only thing I can think is that Satch didn't think the herbs were good for his rock-hard, macho image (rotflmao!).

Becs
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2005, 10:48 PM
My little ones on JWB at the mo cos he's allergic to wheat gluten and he's done really well on it for about 5 years. Depends on the dog I suppose? I am going to switch to burns however cos the ingredients are better defined and it suits older dogs (he's 12!). Plus I think JWB is overpriced! (And I think my mechanic may have stolen a bag from the boot of my car??!)
I think if I was you I'd try burns first and then if that doesn't work try Autarky. Be careful not to over load the system with too many "new" foods though, that can cause runny stools too!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-04-2005, 11:07 PM
Originally Posted by Steve & Abe
.I ordered a sample of Burns,but he was reluctant in eating this so cannot risk buying a sack of it.

Any ideas as to why???
Steve what flavour Burns ? Amy doesn't seem to like the lamb and rice but loves the venison and rice/ and chicken/rice try the Kelties too they are very good
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2005, 11:22 PM
Originally Posted by Archaeopath
The only thing I can think is that Satch didn't think the herbs were good for his rock-hard, macho image (rotflmao!).

Becs
That's all I think it could have been Arch
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-04-2005, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
Steve what flavour Burns ? Amy doesn't seem to like the lamb and rice but loves the venison and rice/ and chicken/rice try the Kelties too they are very good

The samples i received were the chicken & rice and lamb & rice-Abe wasnt too keen on either! His stool this morning was the same-not runny but just wetter than what im used to clearing up.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2005, 12:11 PM
hi

I recently switched Bruno to Burns - however he doesn tlike it completely dry - will eat if mixed with nature diet - so I feed him about 1/4 of a nature diet packet mixed with Burns each meal - his stools are much better - harder than they were on just pure naturediet.

Also - www.landofholisticpets.co.uk have a food which is herbal - I got a sample bag of that so am going to try that as its hydrated so when you mix with a little water becomes moist - as thats why he isnt keen on pure Burns as its too dry for him

dani
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >