Dog News

Portuguese water dog is the pooch to watch at Westminster

...has received 102 comments (page 3)
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2015, 08:24 PM
No problem ... any time!

The way YOU phrased it was that Obama himself would be directly influencing the judges - I did not mean that. It is plain ridiculous to say that the most powerful man in the world owning a particular breed of dog would not have any effect - directly or indirectly - on judges of that particular breed at dog shows. Judges are only human after all, we are all only human, we are all influenced by advertising, marketing ... and by what powerful and famous people eat, wear, holiday location, type of car, type of dog, anything you care to mention.

I do not believe you are naive and unworldly enough to genuinely think that judges particularly in America would not have in the back of their mind - this dog here, this Matisse, is COUSIN to the President of the USA's dog, Sunny. It beggars belief Jackie ...
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-02-2015, 08:30 PM
I think you've lost your mind to be honest, the naivety is not coming from me....it's a ridiculous notion, and I'm out of here because you've said some stupid things in the past Nikki, but this is one of your best lol!!

That's it for me on this.... Matisse won his breed btw if anyone is interested ...going through to group now !
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

17-02-2015, 08:45 PM
Nikki, are you a betting person, because using your logic, a corgi should win Crufts , because the queen has one, you never know, the judge who puts one up might get invited for tea with the queen ...
Azz
Administrator
Male 

17-02-2015, 09:46 PM
I don't think that Obama owning one has anything to do with influencing whether it wins or not - that would discredit the judges, and one thing many judges are, is all about the dogs

I do think Obama has helped promote the breed tho. Nothing wrong with that so long as people who buy one are sure they can offer the breed an appropriate home
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2015, 10:30 PM
It won't discredit the judges, that's like saying a botched UFC unanimous result would discredit them. It doesn't work like that. It happens all the time, it's not fair, and the judges are never questioned nor removed. why? Because they work for the entity that allowed it. As for the judges being all about the dogs, that can be moved a bit around IMO.

This is America, some people who don't seem to know anything about it really don't know how easy it is to corrupt things here. Hell, the fact that Bush was ever in office was because they CHEATED and botched the votes. It's actually really easy to compromise things, and there are usually no repercussions.

Saying there is no way that the facts around this dog could possibly have anything to do with his show results is absurd. I mean like absolutely absurd and most Americans I know would never even consider it. Obama of course would not directly influence the judges.

I've seen people on this very site say that they believed that judging had been botched or obviously favored in many cases. A while ago, a dog that didn't even fit breed standard, a Sheltie I think won some kind of Best in Show award and people were complaining left and right.

If the judging can be botched or unfair, and a HUGE influence like this is involved, what makes you think that there is NO WAY that it could happen here. That is plainly silly to me and I don't see how anybody can believe it.

A person partial to the breed is going to deny this no matter what, especially a person who shows the breed themselves. But they might be saying differently had their dog been the one that lost when they believed he deserved to win. Some of it is spite, of course, but still.

I'm not saying that this dog will win because of an influence, I'm just saying that it's no surprise that he is a favorite.
Meg
Supervisor

17-02-2015, 11:14 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga
Ever since Obama picked that breed, they've gotten a ton more recognition. Everyone wants one now. I don't even get their allure. They look like hard to groom, smelly, wiry, goofy, lanky dogs. Oh, well! It doesn't surprise me that he was a favorite.
Myra any dog can be smelly if not looked after properly I don't know how you can say that about one particular breed.
I agree with one thing , PWDs do take a fair bit of grooming so are best left to the owners who have the ability and are prepared to put in the time keeping them looking tiptop.
Meg
Supervisor

17-02-2015, 11:23 PM
Here we are, the dog in question Matisse
a less 'smelly, goofy, gangly dog' I can't imagine

A beautifully presented dog, he is gorgeous.

I prefer the way PWDs are presented in the UK though as is the case with most breeds.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

17-02-2015, 11:27 PM
Well, the dog looks stunning
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2015, 11:39 PM
He is gorgeous.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2015, 01:13 AM
Right... I suppose a dog primped up for a show is a perfect example of all the breed. Whatever.
Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top