register for free

Dog News

Portuguese water dog is the pooch to watch at Westminster

True to his breed, Matisse the Portuguese water dog likes to play in the koi fish pond. He enjoys going on long bicycle runs, chewing Benny Bully's liver treats and falling asleep on his back.

Pretty standard stuff for a lot of pooches.

Oh, he also got a holiday card from the White House.

So perhaps it was only fitting Monday that when the Westminster Kennel Club dog show started on Presidents Day, the Portie who's a cousin to Obama family pet Sunny was the early favorite.

More here

http://news.yahoo.com/portuguese-wat...1066--spt.html

Your comments and views:
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2015, 11:11 AM
Ever since Obama picked that breed, they've gotten a ton more recognition. Everyone wants one now. I don't even get their allure. They look like hard to groom, smelly, wiry, goofy, lanky dogs. Oh, well! It doesn't surprise me that he was a favorite.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-02-2015, 11:35 AM
Matisse being a favorite to win has nothing to do with the Obama, he is an outstanding dog both in conformation and charisma ,,, they are neither smelly wiry or lanky dogs, yes they can be goofy, but that`s the allure of them,

As you say , they are not a breed for everyone, they are supper intelligent with a high activity level, they need owners who are capable of channeling all that energy .
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2015, 11:51 AM
Apparently Matisse is cousin to the Obama dog? I would think that has a huge amount to do with their popularity in the States!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2015, 12:01 PM
Show me where I said they were not the breed for everyone. I sure don't recall saying that and apparently, their extreme rising popularity suggests otherwise.

Nearly everyone says their dog is extremely intelligent. I love Labradors and say they (and my Labby guy) are extremely intelligent, and some people call Labradors dumb.

Labradors have high activity levels, and are the most popular dogs in America. I mean, it's all relative. And imo they are lanky, especially when people give them that strange naked cut that makes their legs look far longer and skinnier than the rest of their body. They do look smelly to me, with all that usually dull looking and moppy looking fur. All opinions.

Not saying they are smelly etc. Said they look it to me.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2015, 12:31 PM
Ben looks like he would be incredibly smelly with all that fur ... but isn't!! He smells gorgeous, even when wet ... but then I'm biased!!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2015, 12:48 PM
I've found that diet has a lot to do with dog stink. My last dog ate only Pedigree canned for 8 years, it was all he'd eat and he was ultra skinny as it was. He stunk to high Hell, even baths hardly helped. Nigredo is on a rich diet of good dry food and some raw and he has way more fur than B did and he doesn't stink at all. Neutering seems to help, too. My entire front yard smelled strong of dog urine when B was alive, but now barely any smell at all. Jade stinks a little and her urine stinks a bit, but not nearly as bad as B. Yuck. At least my bedroom no longer smells like a dog.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2015, 12:57 PM
We found that when we switched Hal onto raw it completely stopped that awful doggy cheesy smell - breath too became a lot nicer, although raw green tripe is not pleasant when breathed in your face!!
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2015, 01:05 PM
Please forgive my ignorance,I'm just curious.Mango,the Boston Terrier wins "best of opposite sex"...what's that about then?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2015, 01:38 PM
Lord knows!!
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 > Last »

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top