register for free

Dog News

Police dog bites unarmed man while on floor

...has received 27 comments (page 3)
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-06-2014, 07:38 AM
Dog was not out of control. Car appeared behind handler and handler lurched forwards. The suspect on the ground [no shirt???] lurched up and the dog did what he had been trained to do.

It was not the fault of the dog and not the fault of the handler.

Look at the video again, slowly, and you will see that neither dog nor handler were to blame.

Dog is trained to attack if necessary. Suspect on ground lurched forwards. Handler had slipped because the car had caused him to lose balance.

And dog did what it had been taught to do - went for the suspect on the ground who lurched towards him.

End of
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2014, 08:21 AM
There is an extended version of the video on YouTube. The dog is going berserk the entire time and like the police officer from THEIR own precinct said that the handler had clear trouble removing the dog from the suspect after he bit him so there is an automatic issue there.

The dog has been submitted for retraining. Says something within itself. Have a feeling he attacked without command and didn't release on command, that sure is what it looked like. A buffoon of a cop not holding the dog well enough and a dog that isn't trained well enough.

The only reason it's "End of" is because it's a police dog and a person nobody respects being arrested. Nobody cares about him so it's kinda okay that the dog bit him like that... had it been a random person's dog that attacked... or a police dog that attacked an innocent... people would have cared a lot more.

That dog was snarling in his face the entire time, I hardly blame him for trying to keep an eye on the dog. Cops are shouting over each other at him and otherwise not doing anything. He's already down, they may as well chill out.

Police dogs are NOT trained to attack people who threaten them, that is determined by the officer at the time. They are trained to attack on command and release on command. they are also not trained nor are they supposed to attack people that are already on the ground.

The fact that the officer even HAD the dog in the mans face like that after he was already down is a problem for me. The dog also bit him up near his neck and YANKED him forward, which also is arguable that police dogs should not do. Could have caused a serious injury.

I have looked at the video in the article and the extended version on YouTube and I do blame the handler. Not really the dog, as it's just a dog trying to do what he's been taught. We simply disagree.

He didn't need to let the dog get that close and the dog shouldn't have bitten the man. Nahh... this isn't right to me at all.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

14-06-2014, 09:45 AM
mjfromga - do you have a link to the extended youtube vid please? I also agree with you that technically, someone - under the new laws where the owner is responsible for their dogs - is at fault. Whether the dog made a mistake or not - the law is quite clear on this.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

14-06-2014, 09:53 AM
Didn't the incident happen before the new laws came into force?
Azz
Administrator
Male 

14-06-2014, 09:59 AM
I am not sure Trouble (though I still think the old version of the DDA would cover it - as it wasn't on private property but a public road).
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

14-06-2014, 11:27 AM
There was no YouTube extended version of this episode.

Just the brief video taken on a phone by a viewer.

I said "End of" because that is all there was.

And I refuse to blame either the dog or the handler.

END OF
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2014, 05:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBuQS0pdQYI

This is a longer version of the video. Clearly it's different parts from the only 16 second original video as you can see the man rolled over the other way and the person get closer to the cops and show his face etc.

The dog is acting aggressively the entire time and the sound cuts out and the videographer is moving the camera around because those are cops, but there IS an extended version so kinda don't tell me there isn't. You're excused.

I don't like this and the cops needs to be blamed for this unneeded dog bite IMO.
Musher
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-11-2014, 02:48 AM
I've been around and have quite some experiences under my belt. Trained as an observer of human behaviour is but one of many.
I have relatives and friends in law enforcement.
My dogs weigh between 55 and 120 lbs.
They are bred, born and trained to pull. I've had 6 pulling a sled with almost a 1/2 ton of wood in it. They were having fun trotting and running with it. They are very powerful.
I (rightnow)weigh 179 lbs.
I've trained hundreds of dogs for many different purposes, mostly for mushing though.
Ive trained people to handle dogs, again, mostly for mushing though.
I (rightnow) can handle even 2 of my largest dogs.
I have seen atrocities committed by people, unfortunately some by law enforcement officers. Actually percentage wise, more officers than "citizens".
I stand by my earlier statement, "nice dive".
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top