register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Which food do you feed?
Purina Pro Plan 2 1.27%
Pedigree Professional 0 0%
James Wellbeloved 21 13.38%
Arden Grange 18 11.46%
Orijen 15 9.55%
other 114 72.61%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 8 of 11 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2011, 09:23 PM
Mine and other dogs Ive known had the coat/smell problems with the normal adult, premium and prestige. Prestige definatley did have a higher calorie count in it though as he was putting on weight on it. When I stopped feeding it, the smell did go and his coat went back to normal. As the dog is on raw perhaps one meal of each? Its really trial and error I think. Its about what suits the individual dog. My dog is just on raw now though. Now and again he gets Goats Milk and sardines in oil which he loves. Those are pretty calorific Perhaps adding in those treats to a raw diet would help the weight issue? I don't feed them all the time, but I like to provide a variety for him since he is raw fed.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2011, 09:27 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
I have used prestige before and it seemed to help too, the only thing I would say is that my dog did get quite a 'waxy' coat and got a very strong 'doggy smell'

Also known a lot of others on it to go that way too, but I suppose some dogs will be different....trial and error I suppose.

Perhaps just upping the amount of raw meat?
I need concentrated calories because he won't eat any more quantity wise.
To add he one of those dogs that thinks eating is a necessary evil. It has to be done and if it required too much effort he won't bother.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2011, 09:27 PM
Royal Canin and Fish 4 Dogs here.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2011, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
Mine and other dogs Ive known had the coat/smell problems with the normal adult, premium and prestige. Prestige definatley did have a higher calorie count in it though as he was putting on weight on it. When I stopped feeding it, the smell did go and his coat went back to normal. As the dog is on raw perhaps one meal of each? Its really trial and error I think. Its about what suits the individual dog. My dog is just on raw now though. Now and again he gets Goats Milk and sardines in oil which he loves. Those are pretty calorific Perhaps adding in those treats to a raw diet would help the weight issue? I don't feed them all the time, but I like to provide a variety for him since he is raw fed.
I give goats milk, yogurt and even some rice pudding, he likes the milk and the yogurt but covered the rice pudding up. He also covered the sardines up that I have given in the paste.
I was thinking of getting a tube and force feeding him like they do to the geese (joking)
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2011, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
To add he one of those dogs that thinks eating is a necessary evil. It has to be done and if it required too much effort he won't bother.
Well the prestige definatley does carry more calories
Jessi Clark
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2011, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermonkey View Post
I shall try cutting him back a bit more then. Hope fully he will maintain his current weight!

He just loves the stuff!

Any reason you have moved on to Acana? Whats the diff?
It's made by the same people with similar high quality ingredients but was about a tenner cheaper at the time and came with a free smaller sack. Chester is also stupidly fussy so don't want him to have the opportunity to become bored of a food which has happened in the past, not with the Orijen though. I was also looking at taste of the wild because of those ingredients too, I agree with the principles of raw feeding and the few I would give them tend to have the highest meat content and the least fillers. I'll probably end up alternating every several months with their food and Acana just happened to be the one they've ended up with this time!!
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-02-2011, 10:41 AM
I have always fed Burns. The customer service is great and Vito seems happy on it so don't see us changing.
cesky2000
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-02-2011, 10:57 AM
CSJ here - the dogs look really good on it, and it's very reasonable in price.

They also have goat's milk every evening at bedtime, and chicken wings, tripe, sardines or raw mince three or four times a week.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post

My boys a bit like that but since he has been having orijen hes a more entusiastic eater. i know on the orijen bags it gives you the amount of usuable energy per measurement which is useful and am sure if does on a few others too if i remember rightly?

although orijen is v expensive he doesnt waste any of it so i figure it kinda works out not too bad as im not having to throw any of it away

they do small sample bags for a few pounds so maybe worth a try before you buy

id be happy to bag a wee handful and post it to you to see what he thinks? (the sample size bags are about 400gms i think)
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 04:07 PM
I'm on my 14th year of feeding Arden Grange here!!
Becky
Page 8 of 11 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >