Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2004, 12:38 AM

Autarky feeding amounts etc

Hey all...I am thinking about switching Keena from Nutro large breed puppy to Autarky springtime or whatever it is called for puppies. The main reason being that we are considering having another pup (yay!) but the Nutro doesn't come cheap at £6.99 for 2kg from my local pet store and we will have a huge food bill seeing that Keena gets through a whole sack on her own each week as well as a pack of naturediet thrown in each day also. Making her food bill alone near on 50 quid a month

So with the Autarky I know the ingrediants are as good as the likes of Nutro and probably as good as you can get with feeding kibble but I notice it is so much cheaper at around £14 for a 10kg sack of the puppy variety and the same price for a 15kg sack of the adult which will cut the food bill down considerably...

Thing I want to know is...does anyone else feed the puppy Autarky and if you have the packaging handy could you tell me what the feeding chart says...What I want to make sure is that the amount I will need to feed Keena with Autarky wont be double or something than I have to feed with Nutro as then it wouldn't be so cheap if I get through it twice as fast....Would it be possible for someone to type what the chart says and post it here so I can get an idea of the amount Keena will require aswell as the new pup (hopefully!)

Lastly I am considering ordering the Autarky online from csj I think they are called...Their prices are as those I mentioned above and a fiver for postage up to a 30kg order. Does anyone else buy it online and is it cheaper still anywhere else?...I can't get it from my local Tesco or I would.

Thank you
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

15-11-2004, 01:52 AM
Dunno if this is of any help...

http://www.maradonar.com/autarky.htm
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2004, 10:44 AM
I wanted to feed Autarky, so I phoned up all the local pet shops/pet warehouses in my area. One of them stocks it, and it's cheaper than paying for postage etc.
In the end, I didn't feed Autarky. I feed Gusto instead - which is made by Autarky.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2004, 11:07 AM
Uhm MYS...

Sorry for asking, but why do u feed both Nutro AND Naturediet?

Luna is on Nutro alone.....

I've seen others feed 2 things, but dont understand it.....
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2004, 11:51 AM
i feed autarky and nature diet just for my own benefit really but dont shout at me. it has taken a while to get the amounts right but he is looking fab now so i am very happy. i am afraid that when i buy the autarky i put it in containers so i dont have the packaging but it is very cheap i buy it at our local farm shop. i add nature diet cos he loves it but dont want him to be only on wet food
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2004, 11:54 AM
same here Katy i feed Autarky and my girls have a tablespoon of naturediet with it ......one pack lasts me 3 days between 4 dogs so it's just a little
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-11-2004, 12:18 PM
I do it because Stars active food is just the one flavour and the Nature Diet adds a bit of variety.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2004, 12:26 PM
My three have CSJ with a bit of Nature diet added to it. I'm fortunate enough to have a stockists near where I live.
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2004, 02:58 PM
i add meat to the dogs compleate food, to make it more interesting for them :P
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2004, 06:25 PM
lol@at that big ol nose, some of your avatars crack me up gems

ok well I feed both the same as the others...Keena only just tolerates kibble and without some wet food added in she snubs her food completly...So seeing that there are alot of really nasty wet foods and I want to avoid them I chose naturediet as it is the closest to a natural meal you can get with commercial dog food, that and natures choice or menu whatever it is called which is similar. She ends up having two thirds of the reccomended amount of Nutro and 1 third naturediet, I guess I could possibly get away with feeding a smidge less naturediet but it is easy to work out in that amount and I know I am feeding her what she needs that way. Also with kibble I have to be carefull what I give her as she is always on the lean side and I don't need her getting to skinny...So anyway this way is best for now until we go raw!...I plan on giving her and the new pup when we get him / her a raw diet but I am still reading up all I can before I jump in so that I get it right....

Anyway!...lol...Thanks for the link eraze I am going to check that out right away, I appreciate that.

Another thing I was wondering was, I was going to choose something like Burns but I am aware that it keeps the dogs on the lean side and I think Keena would be very skinny on it. Even though she is around the 30kg mark now she is very lean and doesn't need to be any thinner so does anyone know with the Autarky if it is easy to keep the weight on a lean dog?

Awww Inca a tablespoon!...lol...cute!...I forget what it is like to feed a little dog anymore. I used to have a Yorkie and what my dog now gets through a day to keep her healthy would have feed that little one for near on three quarters of a week...lol...Eraze your lucky pascoes is good value else when Rocky is full grown you would have to re-mortgage to feed him...lol

Katy why would anyone shout at you?! about how much do you feed him a day?...I could then get some kinda idea as he must be about the same weight as my pup?? Does he like Autarky alot?? It would be great if Keena actually likes the stuff for more than a week.

Thanks everyone.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >