Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2012, 09:04 AM
Originally Posted by Dobermonkey View Post
I
- how is putting a rule in place that stops people pocketing cash whilst in receipt of what is essentially a benefit?

People in Council accomodation may work. There is no rule that says you must be unemployed you get a Council House.

Do you agree with people on JSA having a job but not declaring it?

I know people who work and claim benefits - they are all in private accomodation or their own house.

At the end of the day if its not your property you abide by the rules of the people who own the property, simple as that.
It is OUR property. We as citizens elect Councils. Councils are our `servants`.
I loathe this prejudice that if you are poor you are feckless and if you are not, you are a `good person`. I doubt Bob Diamond has ever been inside a Council House but I wouldn`t trust him as far as I could throw him.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2012, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by Dobermonkey View Post
I dont know the ins and outs of council housing but to my limited knowledge i assume that you are put on a waiting list for council housing as you are not in a financial position to buy your own house?

'bash anyone who is below you in anyway' - how is putting a rule in place that stops people pocketing cash whilst in receipt of what is essentially a benefit?

Do you agree with people on JSA having a job but not declaring it?

At the end of the day if its not your property you abide by the rules of the people who own the property, simple as that.
When we got our flat we signed a lease no where does it say no breeding all it says is pets must not be a nuiscance, over the years more and more changes to the rules and less and less council imput in the cleaning/gardens etc mean we now pay for services we don't recieve. We never get asked to sign new contracts they are simply applied to buildings. We pay IMO a fair rent £575 per month but have to do repairs and cleaning and gardening that should be done by the council we also pay £750 per annum for these services to the council and £230 per annum for buildings insurance.

We have lived in this flat since 1989 and seen many changes, what hasn't changed is everyone here works hard (except the retired and sick which seems fair enough to me) we have teachers and nurses living in some of the blocks, cleaners and lorry drivers, care workers for the elderly. All those professions that pay less than a fair wage really most of us are on NMW I think, and as far as I am aware no one is claiming benefit (money help) other than the two flats where the occupants are either mentally unable to work or too sick to work (cancer slowly killing him).

I don't see why anyone would see the housing as a benefit as such.
No one wants private housing to come down to affordable levels for the people who don't/can't earn enough to house themselves so we need somewhere to live - somewhere safe and that we can call a home.
2Greys
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-07-2012, 09:32 AM
As dobermonkey I thought you had to meet certain criteria these days to get council housing and some HA properties, but have always privately rented myself so unsure.

Given the extra risk for damage and noise with a litter on that reason alone i think its acceptable for any landlord to not allow dog breeding on their property. It perhaps has been causing problems and that is why they are now seeking to stop it.

I expect there's many people that breed and don't declare the income whilst in receipt of some forms of benefit. Whether this would stop them i'm not sure, but would probably make it easier to be reported if they were living in council housing.
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-07-2012, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by 2Greys View Post
I expect there's many people that breed and don't declare the income whilst in receipt of some forms of benefit.
I expect there are people who breed, and don't declare the income on their tax returns either, but that is really irrelevant.

As has been stated, you do not having to be claiming benefits to rent a council house, and many people in council properties do actually go out to work every day.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2012, 09:38 AM
You have always had to meet some sort of criteria, you amass points in the housing schemes. So many for being homeless, so many for being over crowded, so many for having children etc. We had no children but were homeless so they housed us in a shared ownership flat not a full council house. People who moved in when we did have mostly gone on to have children so have been rehoused currently we have 7 flats with people waiting to be rehoused into houses as they have children, but with the lack of housing now they tend to wait until a family has 3 or 4 teenagers before rehousing them. Quite a squash in a two bed flat I imagine.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2012, 09:45 AM
The law is the law I'm afraid if it says thats that council tennants can not breed their dogs then it has to be.

Personally it does not bother me as long as the dogs are being bred ethicly to standered. But surely council tennants could not afford to be breed dogs anyway?
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2012, 09:52 AM
once again blanket bans, maybe the way forward is blanket bans and you have to apply to breed?? Something has to be done though to stop over breeding
ATD x
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2012, 09:52 AM
It isn't law it's up to each council to set it's own rules and changing a contract with no consultation with the tenant sounds pretty illegal to me.

Actually don't know why I am arguing this as I would stop everyone breeding unless they could prove they knew what they were doing and had some sort of licence.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2012, 09:54 AM
if they do bring in that ban then thats me out. and i dont consider myself a bad breeder. in fact i did everything for the puppies i bred this year, and am still doing even though they have left home now.

i hope they dont bring it in, but then our house isnt what people would consider a typical council house... i imagine they are thinking about all the dogs churned out for quick money, or status dogs like the staffies etc.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-07-2012, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
It is OUR property. We as citizens elect Councils. Councils are our `servants`.
I loathe this prejudice that if you are poor you are feckless and if you are not, you are a `good person`. I doubt Bob Diamond has ever been inside a Council House but I wouldn`t trust him as far as I could throw him.
How is it yours? Did you buy it? - am sorry i dont get it

Wheres the predjudice?

I didnt assume that people in council houses dont work in I know plenty that do

I rent privately and the lease says no more than 2 dogs. god forbid I should be mental enough to breed I would not under any circumstances do so in the property where I live as it would breach conditions

If my landlord decided that he was changing the lease to no dogs I would move elsewhere. Its not mine I didnt pay for it so tough on me.

Whoever owns the house makes the rules and if you want to live in that house then abide by them council HA or private thems the breaks.
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >