View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2012, 12:59 PM
Yes I agree that would be terrible but I am pretty sure if they are existing pets there would be no problem, and as long as you cause no problems I see no problem when getting new pets, think this no pets policy is a bit of a smoke screen that is easy to get around if you control your pets.
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-07-2012, 01:06 PM
I suppose they must have their reasons for imposing such a ban. That said , I don't really see a problem with it in principal.

I do object to people breeding dogs whilst being supported by the welfare system. I fail to see how that can be justified when responsible breeding is expensive.

The amount of money in ones bank account, does not dictate their personality or maturity.
Hanlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-07-2012, 01:12 PM
Many council tenant contracts prevent the tenant from running a business so this 'rule' could be seen as merely being an extension of that tbh. Although we know that good breeders rarely make money out of breeding it is certainly true that sadly a lot of not-so-ethical breeders breed to make money - so a business of sorts.

I thought that a nation-wide rule was also going to be put in place for new council tenants (not existing ones) to only be allowed to have so many dogs anyway? So breeding would surely be out of the question under that rule as puppies would immediately take a tenant over that number!

I was born in a council house, llived in one for all my childhood and now live in an ex-council house with many council tenants around me before anyone makes any assumptions about me by the way!
toobendy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-07-2012, 02:08 PM
hmm hope if a rule is coming in about how many dogs council tenants are allowed it will be at least 2. i have tiger & poppy at the moment. after a lot of thinking i have decided on leaving tiger with my mum because my mum is happy to take care of her, i'll get to see her once a week & tiger will b much happier staying here than moving to a city. she gets nervous when people walk past & sometimes even when cars drive by, its not a big problem where i live now but will be when i move to a city. she wouldn't be happy in a city so it wouldn't be fair on her. i can't stay here because my health is suffering & will continue to do so until i move somewhere thats properly adapted for a wheelchair user.

so when i move i'll have poppy with me but then i intend on getting a pup which i hope will eventually be my registered assistance dog but until it's officially my assistance dog it will presumably count as a pet dog or certainly until it begins training. also my pup may turn out not to be suitable as an assistance dog in which case it would end up being another pet like poppy
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2012, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by Dalmonda View Post
I suppose they must have their reasons for imposing such a ban. That said , I don't really see a problem with it in principal.

I do object to people breeding dogs whilst being supported by the welfare system. I fail to see how that can be justified when responsible breeding is expensive.

The amount of money in ones bank account, does not dictate their personality or maturity.
Do you see someone living in council accomodation as being supported by the welfare system ? Not a dig just wondering why it was being mentioned ?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2012, 02:10 PM
I do not have sufficient information to form an opinion.
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-07-2012, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Do you see someone living in council accomodation as being supported by the welfare system ? Not a dig just wondering why it was being mentioned ?
Nope, not really.

I don't, and never have lived in council accomodation. I have a good job but then its just me, my partner and the dogs. I haven't yet fallen on hard times. Nor were either of us pressured into leaving home. In fact the in-laws moved me in for 10 months rent free. In terms of circumstance we've both been VERY lucky. That of course could change in a moment.

As I understand it its pretty damn hard to get affordable housing in the UK these days. I know of single mothers who arent in housing that is anywhere near good enough. Never mind the elderly, or those who are in a situation of over crowding.... or those who simply can't afford the price tag that comes with private rent or a morgage. I don't think there is nearly enough disabled housing around. I couldn't afford to adapt a home! So if I get hit by a bus tomorrow I'll struggle. What about people born with such disabilities?

I just don't approve of those choosing to breed dogs, then complaining their JSA or income support isn't enough to live on. A) I am of the opinion the money you are given by the state should be for your necessary living expenses.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2012, 02:44 PM
Absolutely agree however if you have dogs when you become unemployed it's quite hard to keep them, we managed when my husband had his stroke only because we were drakonian in how we lived ourselves and had to have one dog PTS. I wouldn't expect to be able to get new dogs if I had been on JSA but it was heart breaking to have to have one PTS mainly due to lack of money.
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-07-2012, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Absolutely agree however if you have dogs when you become unemployed it's quite hard to keep them, we managed when my husband had his stroke only because we were drakonian in how we lived ourselves and had to have one dog PTS. I wouldn't expect to be able to get new dogs if I had been on JSA but it was heart breaking to have to have one PTS mainly due to lack of money.
Absolutely. If you have pets before you lose a job, what can you do? It's not their fault. Its just the intentional breeding that bothers me, when perhaps you don't have the funds to feed yourself. I just don't see how you can justify bringing 4-8 lives into the world.

I am sorry for your loss x
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2012, 04:54 PM
Most Councils now pass on their housing stock to Housing Associations, don`t they?
I don`t see why Council tenants should be singled out, personally. When you rent, you sign a contract. Can you change the terms of a contract like that?
Why are you against Council tenants? My grandparents lived in a Council house. My parents started in a Council house. I started a family in Council House. I don`t think any of us were more or less likely to be good people than anyone else.
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »