Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
maggie.t1
New Member!
Female 

27-07-2011, 10:50 AM

Eating dog poo

My son has a little beable of 10weeks old - our vets has seen him and he has had his 1st injections ect, but he eats his own poo if we dont get to him quick enough - any suggestions how to stop this or the cause?
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 02:53 PM
apparently putting pineapple juice in the food is supposed to stop it wanting to eat it.
maggie.t1
New Member!
Female 

27-07-2011, 03:37 PM
thanks for that- I have read that too, but a bit worried about trying it - hs anyone tried it before?
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 03:38 PM
It's quite common in puppies. Never make a fuss about it and just try and pick it up before he gets a chance to eat it. He'll grow out of it in time.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 06:12 PM
It's a very common problem, and although it seems revolting to us, to a dog it is just a nice supplement!

Pineapple can work, but only if the dog will eat it and quite often they won't Courgettes are another thing that some people swear by but again you have to get your dog to eat enough of them to make any difference, and even then, a confirmed poo eater will just go ahead anyway.

The most important thing is to try to remove all poops the minute they are produced, then hopefully by the time that walkies in the outside world are introduced the habit will disappear altogether.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 06:18 PM
The most important thing is to not turn it into a game or a big thing. If the pup finds that this gets lots of attention he will never stop. In fact most pups grow out of it.
If he does it really quickly, try distracting with a toy.
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2011, 02:25 PM
been through this aswell. i just followed her when outside so i could pick it up asap and i never said a word while doing so. if you make a fuss or come running out everytime he poops your going to make it a game
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-07-2011, 02:42 PM
Hi Maggie although unpleasant to humans this is entirely normal puppy behaviour .
I would make sure your puppy is wormed regularly. I prefer panacur from the vets for puppies, this is administered over a number of days. A worm burden can make a puppy hungry/eat anything and of course eating poo can reinfect the puppy.
How many meals are you feeding, your puppy should really still be on 4 meals a day until 12 weeks .

Many puppies grow out of the behaviour as they mature.
Until then it is a matter of watching and being quick with the poo bag .
maggie.t1
New Member!
Female 

29-07-2011, 10:34 AM
thanks to everyone with recommendations about this subject - its just that none of my dogs have ever done this as pups.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2011, 11:06 AM
He could look at providing more toys and chewy stuff? And check if the pup is getting hungry?